Last updated: December 1, 2015
Use and Purpose of Collected Information
As used herein, the term “Personally Identifiable Information” means your full name, physical address, email address, telephone number, or any other personal information that, alone or in combination with other information, permits third parties to contact you physically or online.
On our Website, we collect Personally Identifiable Information knowingly and voluntarily provided by you when you: (1) register for any service of Hortonworks; (2) submit requests, suggestions, or other communications to us via the Website; (3) interact with the Website or Hortonworks in general in any way that submits, releases or displays your Personally Identifiable Information to Hortonworks.
Hortonworks may use your Personally Identifiable Information to:
- carry out sales, sales solicitation, shipment of products, delivery of services, completion of orders, and provide other services performed by us or third parties;
- advertise or promote our products or the products of third parties offered through the Website or third party partners to you;
- provide support, maintenance or respond to inquiries and/or complaints;
- carry out marketing data surveys, statistics and/or analysis;
- create, send and utilize mailing lists;
- handle system malfunctions, troubleshoot your usage of Hortonworks products or services, or develop additional functionality based on your feedback;
- contact you regarding your use of the Website or any Hortonworks product or service;
- carry out identity verification and authentication services; and/or
- other separately and explicitly prescribed purposes.
By providing Personally Identifiable Information to Hortonworks via the Website, you “opt-in” to receive the electronic communications and targeted marketing referenced herein. You may “opt-out” of any communications using the “Unsubscribe” feature contained in electronic communications. Where required by law, Hortonworks will provide an“opt-in” feature requiring the user to affirmatively agree to receive the electronic communications referenced herein.
We may collect non-Personally Identifiable Information you choose to provide, such as your occupation, affiliated companies, and general location. Additionally, we may collect the following information: IP address, host name, domain name, and system and software logs. Hortonworks will use this information to identify and diagnose issues and to improve the Services you have requested.
Hortonworks expressly requests that you do not provide us with any protected health information (“PHI”), as defined by the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act of 1996 (“HIPAA”), Social Security numbers (unless required for payment purposes), information related to racial or ethnic origin, political opinions, religious or other beliefs, health, sexual orientation, criminal background, or trade union membership.
Third Parties Who May Receive Information
- we may provide your Personally Identifiable Information to third parties who help facilitate the Website (for example, by providing website development, statistical analyses, data processing, or sending communications to users), but for use solely in connection with facilitating the Website;
- we may share your Personally Identifiable Information with Hortonworks’ partners for Hortonworks’ marketing and analytics purposes (we do not sell your information for commercial purposes of third parties);
- we may provide your Personally Identifiable Information to financial institutions, credit card companies, collection enterprises, and other enterprises that process payments or represent the buyer or seller to facilitate payment owed to us or to a seller when you submit such Personally Identifiable Information for the purposes of effecting a purchase or other financial transaction;
- we may provide your Personally Identifiable Information to employees and contractors who owe us a duty of confidentiality in connection with a legitimate business purpose of Hortonworks;
- we may provide your Personally Identifiable Information to third parties, including, but not limited to, law enforcement agencies, state, local or federal governments, private litigants, and other companies, as may be required to (1) comply with lawful requests such as subpoenas or court orders, (2) comply with applicable state, federal, or local law, (3) prevent fraud or other illegal activities from being perpetrated through the Website, or (4) protect the property, safety, or legal rights of Hortonworks and others;
- we may provide your Personally Identifiable Information to any third party whom you have consented to receive your Personally Identifiable Information; and
- we may provide your Personally Identifiable Information to affiliated companies or business successors of Hortonworks for the same purposes as stated herein.
In addition, we may provide non-Personally Identifiable Information, such as your age, interests, or the way you use the Website, to any third party for any purpose including customizing and targeting advertising messages.
Third Parties Who May Collect Information
The following third parties may collect information through the Website, but such information shall not include Personally Identifiable Information unless you post or publish such Personally Identifiable Information in areas of the Website accessible to other users or the public:
- third parties that help facilitate the Website on behalf of Hortonworks may, from time to time, collect information through the Website in the course of providing support;
- third parties may collect other information that you voluntarily post or publish through the Website in any way; and
- web-crawlers such as Google or Yahoo may collect information through the Website.
Cross Border Transfers
Hortonworks supports secure online transactions using secure server technology because we want your online experience to be safe. Hortonworks will use commercially reasonable measures to safeguard Personally Identifiable Information stored in our servers and databases against loss, theft, and unauthorized disclosure or use. Please be aware that no security measures are perfect. Furthermore, we cannot control the actions of third parties with whom you choose to share information. We are not responsible for circumvention of any security measures by third parties or for any unauthorized access or use of your Personally Identifiable Information made by third parties. Any disclosures that you make of your own volition by means of the Website are made at your own risk.
If you ask us to delete your Personally Identifiable Information from our records, we will use commercially reasonable efforts to do so while retaining any record necessary to comply with governmental authority requirements or applicable federal, state, or local law. Even after removal, however, copies of your Personally Identifiable Information may remain viewable in cached or archived pages or if other users have copied or stored such information. If you have any questions or concerns about the Personally Identifiable Information you have submitted, you may contact us at: legal@Hortonworks.com.
Our Website includes order forms that you fill out to request information, products, and services. These forms may collect your financial information, such as your banking details or credit card numbers. Hortonworks will use any financial information that you submit solely for billing and payment purposes for that particular transaction unless you grant permission for other uses.
Children’s Online Privacy Protection Act
Hortonworks does not knowingly collect or solicit Personally Identifiable Information from anyone under the age of thirteen (13). If we learn that we have inadvertently obtained Personally Identifiable Information from a child under the age of thirteen (13), we will delete that information as soon as practicable. If you believe that a child under the age of thirteen (13) has submitted Personally Identifiable Information in connection with the Website, please contact us at email@example.com.
Once a year, users who are California residents may request from us, free of charge, certain information about the Personally Identifiable Information disclosed to third parties for marketing purposes by Hortonworks (if any). Hortonworks will provide a basic report including, as applicable, the type of Personally Identifiable Information that was shared and the names and addresses of all third parties who received such Personally Identifiable Information in the previous calendar year. If you are a California resident and would like to make such a request, please submit your request in writing to firstname.lastname@example.org. Hortonworks is under no obligation to provide such reports absent a written request or more than once per calendar year.