Apache HCatalog 0.4.0 Released
In case you didn’t see the news, I wanted to share the announcement that HCatalog 0.4.0 is now available.
For those of you that are new to the project, HCatalog provides a metadata and table management system that simplifies data sharing between Apache Hadoop and other enterprise data systems. You can learn more about the project on the Apache project site.
The highlights of the 0.4.0 release include:
- Full support for reading from and writing to Hive.
- Support for deeply nested maps, arrays, and structs.
- Switch from StorageDrivers to SerDes. HCatalog no longer supports its own StorageDriver classes for data (de)serialization. Instead it uses Hive’s SerDe classes.
- Addition of JSonSerDe to support reading and writing JSON data.
- The HCatalog binary distribution no longer includes Apache Hive. We now require that Hive first be installed.
- The HCatalog source distribution no longer includes Apache Hive source. It now pulls the required jars via Maven.
The details of the release can be found here.
~ Alan Gates