HBase 0.96: HBase on Windows, and Improvements to MTTR
I recently sat down with Devaraj Das and Carter Shanklin to discuss the dramatic improvements delivered in Apache HBase version 0.96 included in HDP 2.0.
Now HBase runs on Windows and (whether on Linux or Windows) it recovers from failures much more quickly, with dramatic improvements in mean time to recovery (MTTR).
Devaraj is one of the original architects of Apache Hadoop and Carter is the Hortonworks product manager focused on HBase. Together, they explain their collaboration with Microsoft to bring HBase to HDP 2.0 for Windows.
Other highlights include:
- A basic definition of HBase and description of its architecture
- Enterprise use cases for HBase
- New data snapshot capabilities
- Compaction improvements for better performance
- First class data types for ease in development
- Wire compatibility for future HBase versions
- A glimpse into the HBase roadmap