Home Forums HDP on Windows – Installation 1.3>2 upgrade – my Hive is empty :-(

This topic contains 5 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Toby Evans 9 months, 2 weeks ago.

• Creator
    Topic

Toby Evans
    Participant

Hi there guys,

I’ve clubbed my single-node practice server from 1.3 to 2.0, but the tables have dropped out of hive. I’m sure this is to do with the Derby datastore, is there any easy way of recovering this?

thanks

Toby

Viewing 5 replies - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

• Author
    Replies

Toby Evans
    Participant

Hi Rohit,

sorry for the delay. Yeah, I just copied the Derby metastore_db folder between the Hive installations. That was it!

Collapse

Rohit Bakhshi

Hey Toby,

Thanks for the info. So you got the same Derby to work by copying the metastore_db from HDP 1.3 to the relevant location in HDP 2.0 install, and you were able to utilize the same tables with HDP 2.0?

Collapse

Toby Evans
    Participant

Hi Rohit,

I had a Derby metastore – in the upgrade documentation, it says:

http://docs.hortonworks.com/HDPDocuments/HDP2/HDP-2.0.6.0-Win/bk_installing_hdp_for_windows/content/ch_win-upgrade-6.html

[Note] Note
    If you used the Derby database option, you can skip this section.

however, if you do, when you finally get Hive 0.12 buzzing, then the metastore is empty!

it’s probably a better idea to use SQL Server or mySQL, but that’s how I got it working with Derby …

Collapse

Rohit Bakhshi

Hi Toby,

To upgrade the Hive metastore and keep the metadata, you need to have your Hive metastore database in SQL Server. In our documentation, we guide you through how to upgrade Hive table metadata stored in SQL Server.

Collapse

Toby Evans
    Participant

buzzzzzz

I feel ridiculous posting this as answer. I just copied in my old metastore from Hdp1.3, eg
    C:\hdp\hadoop13\hive-0.11.0.1.3.0.0-0380\bin\metastore_db

I copied the metastore_db folder to my new Hive: C:\hdp\hadoop\hive-0.12.0.2.0.6.0-0009\bin\metastore_db

there were an anxious few minutes of failing to connect to the metastore, until I remembered to restart all the services. Then my old Hive returned! Colony Collapse no more …

Collapse
Viewing 5 replies - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)