Home Forums YARN Allow mixed machine hardware specification

This topic contains 3 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Vinod Kumar Vavilapalli 7 months, 2 weeks ago.

• Creator
    Topic

Feng Meng
    Participant

Hi, does Yarn allow different machine hardware specification e.g. one node with 12 core and 256G memory and later add another node with 16 core and 512G memory?

Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

• Author
    Replies

That is correct.

Collapse

Feng Meng
    Participant

Thanks, good to know. Does this mean I need to modify yarn-site.xml for every node based on its specific hardware spec? Originally, I thought yarn-site.xml is shared by all nodes. For example, I should set following parameters differently for each node, correct?

<property>
    <name>yarn.nodemanager.resource.memory-mb</name>
    <value>32768</value>
    </property>
    <property>
    <name>yarn.nodemanager.resource.cpu-vcores</name>
    <value>16</value>
    </property>

Collapse

Rohit Bakhshi

Hi Feng,

Yes, YARN allows you to incorporate mixed hardware specifications for the nodes. You can set a different configuration in yarn-site.xml for each node.

For example, for the node with 256 GB RAM, you can tell the Node Manager to use up to 220 GB for scheduling containers, and for the node with 52 GB RAM, you can tell the Node Manager to use up to 440 GB for scheduling containers.

The Resource Manager will take this all into account when it allocates resources across the Node Managers.

Collapse
Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)