The Hortonworks Community Connection is now live. A completely rebuilt Q&A forum, Knowledge Base, Code Hub and more, backed by the experts in the industry.

You will be redirected here in 10 seconds. If your are not redirected, click here to visit the new site.

The legacy Hortonworks Forum is now closed. You can view a read-only version of the former site by clicking here. The site will be taken offline on January 31,2016

HDP on Linux – Installation Forum

Ambari DataNode Install Error

Fred LaCrosse
    Participant

I’m getting the error below when the DataNode is trying to install. I haven’t had much luck in tracking down what this error is related to and how I can correct it. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

err: /Stage[2]/Hdp-hadoop::Initialize/Hdp::Package[ambari-log4j]/Hdp::Package::Process_pkg[ambari-log4j]/Package[ambari-log4j]/ensure: change from absent to present failed: Execution of ‘/usr/bin/yum -d 0 -e 0 -y install ambari-log4j’ returned 1: Error: Nothing to do

• Author
    Replies
    Fred LaCrosse
    Participant

well, I played around with this during my lunch break and it seems related to the local repositories I set up. When I flipped the one machine that has internet connectivity to use the ambari.repo from http://public-repo-1.hortonworks.com/ambari-beta/centos6/1.x/beta/ instead of using the local repository the DataNode completed installation. I’ll have to investigate this more when I get home.

Dave

Hi Fred,

It looks like the local repository on the machine you were installing the DataNode was missing the ambari-log4j package – this would throw the error you were seeing and why it worked when you gave it internet connection.

Thanks

Dave

Fred LaCrosse
    Participant

Thanks Dave, I’m up and running now! I had missed all the packages in the public-repo-1.hortonworks.com/index.html#/ambari-beta/centos6/1.x/beta/1.4.0.18/noarch folder on my local repository.

The forum ‘HDP on Linux – Installation’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Support from the Experts

A HDP Support Subscription connects you experts with deep experience running Apache Hadoop in production, at-scale on the most demanding workloads.

Enterprise Support »

Become HDP Certified

Real world training designed by the core architects of Hadoop. Scenario-based training courses are available in-classroom or online from anywhere in the world

Training »

Hortonworks Data Platform
The Hortonworks Data Platform is a 100% open source distribution of Apache Hadoop that is truly enterprise grade having been built, tested and hardened with enterprise rigor.
Get started with Sandbox
Hortonworks Sandbox is a self-contained virtual machine with Apache Hadoop pre-configured alongside a set of hands-on, step-by-step Hadoop tutorials.
Modern Data Architecture
Tackle the challenges of big data. Hadoop integrates with existing EDW, RDBMS and MPP systems to deliver lower cost, higher capacity infrastructure.