The Hortonworks Community Connection is now live. A completely rebuilt Q&A forum, Knowledge Base, Code Hub and more, backed by the experts in the industry.

You will be redirected here in 10 seconds. If your are not redirected, click here to visit the new site.

The legacy Hortonworks Forum is now closed. You can view a read-only version of the former site by clicking here. The site will be taken offline on January 31,2016

HDP on Linux – Installation Forum

Ambari failing when using local repositories

Bart Buter
    Participant

We are trying to install HortonWorks 1.3 using Ambari, on Centos6 hosts.
    The nodes have no access to the internet, therefore we have setup local repositories, I will list the names of the repo files and the repositories they use:
    CentOS-Base.repo
    base
    updates
    extras
    ambari.repo
    ambari-1.x
    HDP-UTILS-1.1.0.15
    Updates-ambari-1.2.4.9
    epel.repo
    epel
    HDP-epel.repo
    HDP-epel
    HDP.repo

Installation of ambari-server and ambari-agents goes well, page “Confirm Hosts” all gives “Success” to all nodes.
    Installation of the services is a problem. If only HDFS and MapReduce are selected the installation already fails.
    The problem seems to be that during installation the files /etc/yum.repos.d/HDP-epel.repo and /etc/yum.repos.d/HDP.repo get overwritten with files that point to internet repositories.

My next course of action will be to pre-install some packages on the nodes before trying the ambari install route again.
    Any help is appreciated

• Author
    Replies
    Sasha J

Bart,
    you miss one small step when setup local repos….

http://docs.hortonworks.com/HDPDocuments/HDP1/HDP-1.3.1/bk_using_Ambari_book/content/ambari-chap1-6.html

Make suggested change and everything should work fine for you.
    This should be done on Ambari node.

Thank you!
    Sasha

Bart Buter
    Participant

Sasha,

Thanks for the tip, this was indeed what was missing. With your help we are able to install HDFS + Mapreduce.
    The full HortonWorks 1.3 suite still gives a warning at the end when performing the HBase Smoketest. This was using all the default settings, only adding some passwords. The steps described in the forum: “hbase test failed when deployment” don’t work since yum cant find hmc nor puppet to remove. What is the quickest way to reset the ambari configuration so I can re-install using a different configuration?

HBase Check errors:
    warning: Dynamic lookup of $configuration is deprecated. Support will be removed in Puppet 2.8. Use a fully-qualified variable name (e.g., $classname::variable) or parameterized classes.
    notice: /Stage[1]/Hdp::Snappy::Package/Hdp::Snappy::Package::Ln[32]/Hdp::Exec[hdp::snappy::package::ln 32]/Exec[hdp::snappy::package::ln 32]/returns: executed successfully
    notice: /Stage[2]/Hdp-hbase::Hbase::Service_check/File[/tmp/hbaseSmoke.sh]/ensure: defined content as ‘{md5}a8119189dfd341c06bc94171fc4a992a’
    err: /Stage[2]/Hdp-hbase::Hbase::Service_check/Exec[/tmp/hbaseSmoke.sh]/returns: change from notrun to 0 failed: Command exceeded timeout at /var/lib/ambari-agent/puppet/modules/hdp-hbase/manifests/hbase/service_check.pp:46

Sasha J

Smoke test warning could be safely ignored.
    go to use cluster and check if there any other alerts/errors from the HBase.
    It may be just not enough memory on the boxes (how big is it)?

Thank you!
    Sasha

Bart Buter
    Participant

It all works now. We had a problem that the times weren’t synced up properly. Now that they are properly synced to a ntp server it all works fine.
    Thanks for the help

Sasha J

Bart,
    yes, time synchronization is very critical for HBase functionally, as it stated pre-requisites in the documentation.
    Thank you!
    Sasha

Ray Roberts
    Participant

I’m trying the same thing on a test server. I have no internet connection and I’ve setup the hdp.repo and hdp-utils.repo per the instructions. I’ve also modified the repos in /var/lib/ambari-server/resources/……

I’m seeing a couple things that seem weird.

1. Two repo files (HDP.repo and HDP-epel.repo) magically appear in /etc/yum.repos.d/. I know one seems to get its info from the the repo file in /var/lib/ambari-server/resources but I’m not sure where the HDP-epel is coming from.
    2. I’m getting an error during the services install in Ambari saying “Could not retrieve fact fqdn” and “Host is missing hostname and/or domain”

I’m not sure if any of these are why the installation of the services fail, but I assume it is.

As for the DNS, its a standalone machine and I put an entry in the /etc/hosts just to be safe.

Any ideas?

-Ray

Bart Buter
    Participant

I’m afraid I cannot help you with your 2nd problem.
    Nr 1 is part of the ambari/puppet installation process. The server that HDP.repo and HDP-epel.repo point to is set in /var/lib/ambari-server/resources… You will also need to make a local repository for these. By the way the epel.repo and HDP-epel.repo are the same as far as I can tell.

I hope this helps a bit

Ray Roberts
    Participant

Do you know if the HDP-epel repo is required?

I can’t find any tarballs of it.

Ray Roberts
    Participant

Here is what I’m seeing during the ambari servcies installation:

stderr:
    none
    none

stdout:
    warning: Could not retrieve fact fqdn
    warning: Host is missing hostname and/or domain: boxie
    notice: Finished catalog run in 0.06 seconds
    notice: Finished catalog run in 0.07 seconds
    warning: Dynamic lookup of $conf_dir at /var/lib/ambari-agent/puppet/modules/hdp-hadoop/manifests/init.pp:108 is deprecated. Support will be removed in Puppet 2.8. Use a fully-qualified variable name (e.g., $classname::variable) or parameterized classes.
    warning: Dynamic lookup of $service_state at /var/lib/ambari-agent/puppet/modules/hdp-hadoop/manifests/init.pp:221 is deprecated. Support will be removed in Puppet 2.8. Use a fully-qualified variable name (e.g., $classname::variable) or parameterized classes.
    warning: Dynamic lookup of $service_state at /var/lib/ambari-agent/puppet/modules/hdp-hadoop/manifests/service.pp:76 is deprecated. Support will be removed in Puppet 2.8. Use a fully-qualified variable name (e.g., $classname::variable) or parameterized classes.
    warning: Dynamic lookup of $service_state at /var/lib/ambari-agent/puppet/modules/hdp-hadoop/manifests/service.pp:85 is deprecated. Support will be removed in Puppet 2.8. Use a fully-qualified variable name (e.g., $classname::variable) or parameterized classes.
    warning: Dynamic lookup of $configuration is deprecated. Support will be removed in Puppet 2.8. Use a fully-qualified variable name (e.g., $classname::variable) or parameterized classes.
    warning: Dynamic lookup of $mapred-site is deprecated. Support will be removed in Puppet 2.8. Use a fully-qualified variable name (e.g., $classname::variable) or parameterized classes.
    warning: Dynamic lookup of $tasktracker_port is deprecated. Support will be removed in Puppet 2.8. Use a fully-qualified variable name (e.g., $classname::variable) or parameterized classes.
    warning: Dynamic lookup of $ambari_db_rca_url is deprecated. Support will be removed in Puppet 2.8. Use a fully-qualified variable name (e.g., $classname::variable) or parameterized classes.
    warning: Dynamic lookup of $ambari_db_rca_driver is deprecated. Support will be removed in Puppet 2.8. Use a fully-qualified variable name (e.g., $classname::variable) or parameterized classes.
    warning: Dynamic lookup of $ambari_db_rca_username is deprecated. Support will be removed in Puppet 2.8. Use a fully-qualified variable name (e.g., $classname::variable) or parameterized classes.
    warning: Dynamic lookup of $ambari_db_rca_password is deprecated. Support will be removed in Puppet 2.8. Use a fully-qualified variable name (e.g., $classname::variable) or parameterized classes.
    err: /Stage[1]/Hdp::Snmp/Hdp::Package[snmp]/Hdp::Package::Process_pkg[snmp]/Package[net-snmp-utils]/ensure: change from absent to pres

Bob Russell
    Participant

Sasha, you mentioned:

you miss one small step when setup local repos….
    http://docs.hortonworks.com/HDPDocuments/HDP1/HDP-1.3.1/bk_using_Ambari_book/content/ambari-chap1-6.html

I updated as appropriate, but there is still a problem. I needed to have “proxy=_none_” in the HDP.repo file on the agents as I have a mixed situation with some stuff going outside and needing proxy and other stuff (i.e. HDP) being obtained local. In this scenario, the only way I was able to make progress was to declare the proxy as _none_ in the repo file. Unfortunately, it looks like the server pushes a new HDP.repo over to the agent for each service. Is there any way to avoid this push OR to specify proxy in the repoinfo.xml file (which I assume is the src info that creates HDP.repo)?

The forum ‘HDP on Linux – Installation’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Support from the Experts

A HDP Support Subscription connects you experts with deep experience running Apache Hadoop in production, at-scale on the most demanding workloads.

Enterprise Support »

Become HDP Certified

Real world training designed by the core architects of Hadoop. Scenario-based training courses are available in-classroom or online from anywhere in the world

Training »

Hortonworks Data Platform
The Hortonworks Data Platform is a 100% open source distribution of Apache Hadoop that is truly enterprise grade having been built, tested and hardened with enterprise rigor.
Get started with Sandbox
Hortonworks Sandbox is a self-contained virtual machine with Apache Hadoop pre-configured alongside a set of hands-on, step-by-step Hadoop tutorials.
Modern Data Architecture
Tackle the challenges of big data. Hadoop integrates with existing EDW, RDBMS and MPP systems to deliver lower cost, higher capacity infrastructure.