HDP on Linux – Installation Forum

Ambari heath check – Ambari agent with connection time out

Son Hai Ha

I install Hadoop and its services onto a cluster of VMs on Open Stack and use Ambari of HortonWork to monitor the services. I opened all the necessary ports for the services to run already. But there is still one problem/port that I cannot figure out. I used all the default setting.

In particular,

For ambari-server: port 8440 and 8080
    For ambari-agent: port 8441

The agent could not access to some services that I don’t know. I hope the issue due to a blocked port. I try to find the port to open but don’t have an answer. I also looked at the log file of the agent but cannot find out the issues. Anyone have the experiences with Ambari?

Here are some images of the problem.

All the services look good. Mapreduce can run service check successfully

But every host that run the agent got a problem and I cannot see the health of those remote host with Ganglia, even though Ganglia reported healthy

A closer look on the issues at every hosts

to create new topics or reply. | New User Registration

• Author

Hi Son,

The ambari agent needs to connect to the server on port 8441. Can you telnet from the agent machine to the ambari server on 8441 and 8440 ?

Jeff Sposetti

Nagios checks the health of the Agent itself, which listens on a ping-port.

The port between the Nagios server and the agents machines needs to be open.

Check /etc/ambari-agent/conf/ambari-agent.ini and the ping_port property. Confirm that port is accessible from the host running the Nagios server.

Son Hai Ha

Thanks Jeff.
    The port 8670 was blocked by my switch. The problem is solved now. Thanks a lot!!!

Son Hai Ha

I still have one more problem.
    The host metrics tab doesn’t have any data. Ganglia run fully well and there no issue reported by Ambari.

Son Hai Ha

This problem is also fixed now. A lot of ports have to be opened for Ganglia, both UDP and TCP types. I think the manual should contains these information, otherwise for beginner like me, it took a week to figure out the problem.
    Thank you guys for helping!

The topic ‘Ambari heath check – Ambari agent with connection time out’ is closed to new replies.

Support from the Experts

A HDP Support Subscription connects you experts with deep experience running Apache Hadoop in production, at-scale on the most demanding workloads.

Enterprise Support »

Become HDP Certified

Real world training designed by the core architects of Hadoop. Scenario-based training courses are available in-classroom or online from anywhere in the world

Training »

Hortonworks Data Platform
The Hortonworks Data Platform is a 100% open source distribution of Apache Hadoop that is truly enterprise grade having been built, tested and hardened with enterprise rigor.
Get started with Sandbox
Hortonworks Sandbox is a self-contained virtual machine with Apache Hadoop pre-configured alongside a set of hands-on, step-by-step Hadoop tutorials.
Modern Data Architecture
Tackle the challenges of big data. Hadoop integrates with existing EDW, RDBMS and MPP systems to deliver lower cost, higher capacity infrastructure.