Home Forums Ambari Ambari Sever Fails After Upgrade

This topic contains 6 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  tedr 10 months, 3 weeks ago.

• Creator
    Topic

Ray Roberts
    Participant

I just upgraded to ambari-server 1.2.3.6-1 and now I’m unable to start the server. I receive the following in my logs:

10:48:23,983 INFO Configuration:261 – Reading password from existing file
    10:48:24,001 INFO Configuration:378 – Hosts Mapping File null
    10:48:24,001 INFO HostsMap:60 – Using hostsmap file null
    10:48:25,334 INFO AmbariServer:428 – Getting the controller
    10:48:25,733 INFO CertificateManager:65 – Initialization of root certificate
    10:48:25,733 INFO CertificateManager:69 – Certificate exists:true
    10:48:25,743 INFO ClustersImpl:88 – Initializing the ClustersImpl
    10:48:26,606 WARN HeartbeatMonitor:98 – Exception received
    Local Exception Stack:
    Exception [EclipseLink-4002] (Eclipse Persistence Services – 2.4.0.v20120608-r11652): org.eclipse.persistence.exceptions.DatabaseException
    Internal Exception: org.postgresql.util.PSQLException: ERROR: column “current_stack_version” does not exist
    Position: 43
    Error Code: 0
    Call: SELECT cluster_id, current_cluster_state, current_stack_version FROM clusterstate WHERE (cluster_id = ?)
    bind => [1 parameter bound]
    Query: ReadObjectQuery(name=”clusterStateEntity” referenceClass=ClusterStateEntity )
    at org.eclipse.persistence.exceptions.DatabaseException.sqlException(DatabaseException.java:333)
    at ……………….
    Caused by: org.postgresql.util.PSQLException: ERROR: column “current_stack_version” does not exist
    at org.postgresql.core.v3.QueryExecutorImpl.receiveErrorResponse(QueryExecutorImpl.java:2102)
    at org.postgresql.core.v3.QueryExecutorImpl.processResults(QueryExecutorImpl.java:1835)
    at org.postgresql.core.v3.QueryExecutorImpl.execute(QueryExecutorImpl.java:257)
    at org.postgresql.jdbc2.AbstractJdbc2Statement.execute(AbstractJdbc2Statement.java:500)
    at org.postgresql.jdbc2.AbstractJdbc2Statement.executeWithFlags(AbstractJdbc2Statement.java:388)
    at org.postgresql.jdbc2.AbstractJdbc2Statement.executeQuery(AbstractJdbc2Statement.java:273)
    at org.eclipse.persistence.internal.databaseaccess.DatabaseAccessor.executeSelect(DatabaseAccessor.java:938)
    at org.eclipse.persistence.internal.databaseaccess.DatabaseAccessor.basicExecuteCall(DatabaseAccessor.java:609)
    … ..
    10:48:26,623 INFO AmbariServer:383 – Checking DB store version
    10:48:26,629 ERROR AmbariServer:437 – Failed to run the Ambari Server
    java.lang.NullPointerException
    at org.apache.ambari.server.controller.AmbariServer.checkDBVersion(AmbariServer.java:384)
    at org.apache.ambari.server.controller.AmbariServer.run(AmbariServer.java:121)
    at org.apache.ambari.server.controller.AmbariServer.main(AmbariServer.java:434)

When I do a ambari-server status:

Ambari-server status
    Found Ambari Server PID: ’5013′
    Ambari Server not running. Stale PID File at: /var/run/ambari-server/ambari-server.pid

Thoughts?

-Ray

Viewing 6 replies - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Ambari Sever Fails After Upgrade’ is closed to new replies.

• Author
    Replies

tedr

Hi Ray,

Yes, running ‘ambari-server setup’ will hurt things, it will clear the postgres database that ambari uses. When you ran it it dropped that database back to the point where it thinks you are starting from scratch, so it would probably be best to proceed that way.

Thanks,
    Ted.

Collapse

Ray Roberts
    Participant

Ok,

So, I followed the manual and I was able to get ambari started successfully.

However, now I don’t see any nodes listed under ‘Hosts’ ……Although it does list the correct number of data nodes in the dashboard view.

I forgot to mention that I ran a ambari-server setup when I initially couldn’t get ambari to start. I’m not sure if this hurt anything.

So, I’m wondering if it would just be easier to start from scratch? How would I do that? What would be the risks doing this?

Collapse

Ray Roberts
    Participant

Yi,

Here is what I get from rpm -qa | grep ambari:

ambari-agent-1.2.3.6-1.x86_64
    ambari-log4j-1.2.3.6-1.noarch
    ambari-server-1.2.3.6-1.noarch
    ambari-1.x-1.el6.noarch

Unfortunately, I did not follow the manual. I just assumed that it was a simple rpm upgrade.

After reading the manual for upgrading just now, I see I did the total opposite of what I supposed to do :(

I stopped all services in Ambari, then did a yum update. It then upgraded to this version listed above, I then rebooted.

I then tried to start Ambari and received the errors listed below.

Collapse

Yi Zhang

Hi Ray,

Can you do ‘rpm -qa | grep ambari’ to see if ambari is indeed upgraded? From what version did you upgrade? Did you follow the exact steps as stated in the manual?

Thanks,
    Yi

Collapse

Ray Roberts
    Participant

Yi,

I don’t think it ever starts successfully, as you can see from the logs above, so the ambari-stop does nothing.

I have upgraded the agents, however I don’t see how that would be relevant to the server not starting.

Here is the log from ambari-server.log:

5:43:34,078 INFO Configuration:261 – Reading password from existing file
    15:43:34,096 INFO Configuration:378 – Hosts Mapping File null
    15:43:34,096 INFO HostsMap:60 – Using hostsmap file null
    15:43:35,433 INFO AmbariServer:428 – Getting the controller
    15:43:35,829 INFO CertificateManager:65 – Initialization of root certificate
    15:43:35,830 INFO CertificateManager:69 – Certificate exists:true
    15:43:35,839 INFO ClustersImpl:88 – Initializing the ClustersImpl
    15:43:36,704 WARN HeartbeatMonitor:98 – Exception received
    Local Exception Stack:
    Exception [EclipseLink-4002] (Eclipse Persistence Services – 2.4.0.v20120608-r11652): org.eclipse.persistence.exceptions.DatabaseException
    Internal Exception: org.postgresql.util.PSQLException: ERROR: column “current_stack_version” does not exist
    Error Code: 0
    Call: SELECT cluster_id, current_cluster_state, current_stack_version FROM clusterstate WHERE (cluster_id = ?)
    bind => [1 parameter bound]
    Caused by: org.postgresql.util.PSQLException: ERROR: column “current_stack_version” does not exist

15:43:36,721 INFO AmbariServer:383 – Checking DB store version
    15:43:36,729 ERROR AmbariServer:437 – Failed to run the Ambari Server
    java.lang.NullPointerException
    at org.apache.ambari.server.controller.AmbariServer.checkDBVersion(AmbariServer.java:384)
    at org.apache.ambari.server.controller.AmbariServer.run(AmbariServer.java:121)
    at org.apache.ambari.server.controller.AmbariServer.main(AmbariServer.java:434)

Collapse

Yi Zhang

Hi Ray,

Is ‘ambari-server stop’ not able to stop the ambari-server? If you kill the running ambari-server, are you able to start it? any messages? Have you upgraded the ambari-agents?

Thanks,
    Yi

Collapse
Viewing 6 replies - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)