The Hortonworks Community Connection is now live. A completely rebuilt Q&A forum, Knowledge Base, Code Hub and more, backed by the experts in the industry.

You will be redirected here in 10 seconds. If your are not redirected, click here to visit the new site.

The legacy Hortonworks Forum is now closed. You can view a read-only version of the former site by clicking here. The site will be taken offline on January 31,2016

Ambari Forum

Ambari Upgrade to 1.4.2 from 1.4.1 failed

Umesh
    Participant

Hello All,

I am using HDP 2.0.6 and trying to upgrade ambari from 1.4.1 to 1.4.2 , referred hortonworks docs but it seems that during upgrade ambari database has been wiped out and and i am not able to create /restore it again.

i have tried following solutions but no luck

1) re run the ambari-server upgrade steps
    2) run ambari-server setup
    2) tried to run sql scripts from /var/lib/ambari-server/resources

What should i do now

• Author
    Replies
    Dave

Hi Umesh,

Can you provide the steps which you took?
    At any point did you run ambari-server reset?

Thanks

Dave

Umesh
    Participant

HI Dave,

I followed this link,

http://docs.hortonworks.com/HDPDocuments/HDP2/HDP-2.0.8.0/bk_using_Ambari_book/content/ambari-chap7_2x.html

but ambari-server refused to start after upgrade, when checked i found ambari-server postgres database has been wiped out.

I did not run ambari-server reset at point of time during upgrade or after upgrade.

Dave

Hi Umesh,

What was the error given for the ambari-server failing to start?
    Do you have the postgres logs?
    If it has been removed and you do not have a backup then there is not much you can do to get it back.
    There would be nothing in the documentation which would cause this and I have done this countless times without issues.

Thanks

Dave

Umesh
    Participant

Hi Dave,

Glad to know that you have done it countless times without any issues, i have solved the problem by running ambari-server setup.

I am working on upgrade of other cluster now and encounterd another new issue,

06:02:34,156 INFO [main] AmbariServer:124 – ********* Meta Info initialized **********
    06:02:34,168 INFO [main] ClustersImpl:103 – Initializing the ClustersImpl
    06:02:34,358 INFO [main] AmbariServer:407 – Checking DB store version
    06:02:34,366 WARN [main] AmbariServer:415 – Current database store version is not compatible with current server version, serverVersion=1.4.2.104, schemaVersion=1.4.1.25
    06:02:34,367 ERROR [main] AmbariServer:463 – Failed to run the Ambari Server
    org.apache.ambari.server.AmbariException: Current database store version is not compatible with current server version, serverVersion=1.4.2.104, schemaVersion=1.4.1.25
    at org.apache.ambari.server.controller.AmbariServer.checkDBVersion(AmbariServer.java:416)
    at org.apache.ambari.server.controller.AmbariServer.run(AmbariServer.java:131)
    at org.apache.ambari.server.controller.AmbariServer.main(AmbariServer.java:460)

I followed same link mentioned above, can you please help me on this issue.

Dave

Hi Umesh,

Can you log into postgres and connect to ambari (psql -U ambari ambari) password is bigdata
    Then run:

select * from metainfo;

This will probably return 1.4.1.25

If it does, then you will need to run:

update metainfo set metainfo_value=’1.4.2.104′ where metainfo_key=’version’;

Now you should be able to start the ambari-server successfully.

Let me know how you get on,

Dave

Umesh
    Participant

HI Dave,

I tried steps you suggested but i am getting

ambari=# select * from metainfo;
    ERROR: relation “metainfo” does not exist
    LINE 1: select * from metainfo;
    ^

Umesh
    Participant

Hi Dave,

Any update on below problem.?

Dave

Hi Umesh,

I thought this was the system which I looked at earlier today?

Thanks

Dave

The forum ‘Ambari’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Support from the Experts

A HDP Support Subscription connects you experts with deep experience running Apache Hadoop in production, at-scale on the most demanding workloads.

Enterprise Support »

Become HDP Certified

Real world training designed by the core architects of Hadoop. Scenario-based training courses are available in-classroom or online from anywhere in the world

Training »

Hortonworks Data Platform
The Hortonworks Data Platform is a 100% open source distribution of Apache Hadoop that is truly enterprise grade having been built, tested and hardened with enterprise rigor.
Get started with Sandbox
Hortonworks Sandbox is a self-contained virtual machine with Apache Hadoop pre-configured alongside a set of hands-on, step-by-step Hadoop tutorials.
Modern Data Architecture
Tackle the challenges of big data. Hadoop integrates with existing EDW, RDBMS and MPP systems to deliver lower cost, higher capacity infrastructure.