Home Forums HDP on Linux – Installation Ambari (default "admin" account to browse HDFS file system)

This topic contains 11 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  tedr 1 year ago.

• Creator
    Topic

Pal J
    Participant

Hi ,
    All these day I have been using the ambari default account “admin”. When I try to browse the HDFS file system via ambary portal using this account I can’t access some the directories and files created . Can you please advise how use unix account or root account via ambari portal to browse HDFS file system

thanks
    Pal

Viewing 11 replies - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

• Author
    Replies

tedr

Hi Pal,

Without using the Ambari UI there is not a way to make permanent changes to these configuration files. As Sasha pointed out they will always be reverted to what Ambari has them set to when Ambari is restarted. Though if you don’t see the properties you need to change listed in the Ambari UI settings you can add them in the “Custom” area, you will need to enter then property names and values.

Thanks,
    Ted.

Collapse

Pal J
    Participant

Hi Sasha,
    Thanks for your reply, I wanted to know is there a way make changes to these configuration files in particular to “core-site.xml” which is not available via Ambari UI manually without using Ambari UI. And also I want to add new properties to “hdfs-site.xml”
    Basically I installing HUE and have to change couple of configuration files and I would like to take backup of them before making changes

thanks
    Pal

Collapse

Sasha J

Pal,
    any changes made in the configuration files not through Ambari UI will be reverted back by Amabri on next service restart.
    You have to utilize Ambari UI for making any changes in the configurations.

Thank you!
    Sasha

Collapse

Pal J
    Participant

Hi Ted,
    On Ambari installation, If I have to change values of few properties in “core-site.xml” and add additional property like “dfs.support.append” in” hdfs-site.xml”, and also couple of changes to “hive-site.xml” , and so on..
    Can you please point me to physical location of configuration files for Hadoop services so that I don’t make changes via ambari portal.

I would appreciate your advice

thanks
    Pal

Collapse

tedr

Hi Pal,

Thanks for letting us know that it is now working like you want it to.

Thanks,
    Ted.

Collapse

Pal J
    Participant

Hi Ted,
    thanks it works

thanks
    Pal

Collapse

tedr

Hi Pal,

On an Ambari Installed/Managed cluster you should make these settings in the Ambari web UI. You can find them on the "services" tab, then select "HDFS", then “"configurations", then expand the "Advanced" area and look for the property. NOTE saving property changes in this area requires that HDFS and MapReduce be shutdown before saving.

Thanks,
    Ted.

Collapse

Pal J
    Participant

Hi Sasha,
    I changed the property “hdfs, hdfs” as per your advice, as soon the restart HDFS the property reverts back to “gopher,gopher”.
    Can please advice

thanks
    Pal

Collapse

Pal J
    Participant

Hi Sasha,
    I tired to change values of property “dfs.web.ugi” in “hdfs-site.xml” in both the locations /etc/alternatives/hadoop-conf/ and “/usr/bin/hadoop/conf”. I still get same error and more over “hdfs-site.xml” is refreshed each when stop and start HDFS service via amabri portal i.e. all may changes gone i.e. “hdfs , hdfs” is replaced by “gopher,gopher”.
    Is this due to starting and stopping HDFS service via amabri portal may be using hdfs-site.xm from one these location
    var/lib/ambari-server/resources/stacks/HDP/
    var/lib/ambari-server/resources/stacks/HDPLOCAL/

thanks
    Pal

Collapse

Pal J
    Participant

Hi Sasha,
    Thanks for the update, there are two location of “hdfs-site.xml” one in /etc/alternatives/hadoop-conf/ and “/usr/bin/hadoop/conf” In which one should I change I think “/usr/bin/hadoop/conf” ?

thanks
    Pal

Collapse

Sasha J

Pal,
    there is a property in HDFS configuration named dfs.web.ugi
    By default, it set to “gopher,gopher”, as a result, any folder not widely readable, can not be browsed by this user.
    If you really want to be able to browse the whole HDFS, change this property to “hdfs,hdfs” from the UI.

Hope this helps.
    Thank you!
    Sasha

Collapse
Viewing 11 replies - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)