Home Forums Hortonworks Sandbox Apache Hive slide frozen

This topic contains 15 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by  Larry Liu 1 year ago.

• Creator
    Topic

Same problem as I reported for Topic ‘Pig Latin Features slides frozen”. This time it occurred at the start of the third tutorial when I ran the ‘Apache Hive’ link. The problem is that after 1:40 minutes the slide froze.

Herman

Viewing 15 replies - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

• Author
    Replies

Larry Liu

Hi, Herman

The correct scp command would be like this:

scp root@192.168.56.101:/home/sandbox/sandbox-tutorials/local/*.mp4 /your/destination/folder

Ted let you use ‘.’ to scp the mp4 files to your current folder.
    Please try again and let me know how it goes.

Thanks
    Larry

Collapse

Hi Ted

At step 4 I tried starting by entering ‘scp root…’
    Hermans-MacBook-Pro:Desktop hermanrothberger$ scp root@192.168.56.101:/home/sandbox/sandbox-tutorials/local/*.mp4
    and got the following:
    usage: scp [-12346BCEpqrv] [-c cipher] [-F ssh_config] [-i identity_file]
    [-l limit] [-o ssh_option] [-P port] [-S program]
    [[user@]host1:]file1 … [[user@]host2:]file2
    I also tried variations on this for example beginning ‘scproot…’ each time there was a problem.

Thanks

Herman

Collapse

tedr

Hi Herman,

I’m not sure we have a link to the core hadoop video, it wasn’t available in previous versions of the sandbox. So I’ll distill the process of getting them out of the sandbox to your desktop for you. It is actually rather easy.

1- start up the sandbox and wait till it gives you an ipaddress to connect to
    2 – open a terminal session on your Mac (Applications->Utilities->Terminal)
    3 – in this terminal type ‘cd Desktop’
    4 – then type ‘scp root@192.168.56.101:/home/sandbox/sandbox-tutorials/local/*.mp4 .’
    5 – it will probably ask you if it’s ok to connect or something like that enter ‘y’
    6 – you will then be asked for a password – it is ‘hadoop’ enter that
    7 – you’ll now see the videos showing up on your Mac’s desktop

NOTE: the ipaddress above 192.168.56.101 should be replaced with the ipaddress shown in the sandbox VM window to connect you browser to. Also the stuff shown above in quotes should all be entered without the quotes and spacing and capitalization are very important’

That’s it!
    Thanks for using the Sandbox,
    Ted.

Collapse

Hi All

Just to finish it off the ‘Core Hadoop’ which is in the Introduction is also freezing at about 2 minutes into the showing.

I have links and/or screens for the videos in Tutorials 2 – 4. Tutorials 1 and 5 do not have videos. So the only one that I need is for the ‘Core Hadoop’.

It may be useful to have all of these workarounds under one Topic so that anyone else who needs them can “easily” find all of them.

Ted – I saw the other thread that you referred to. At first glance it was looking long and complicated (Im not very techie). I’ll give it another shot but I’m also very anxious to go thru the Tutorials again.

Thanks

Herman

Collapse

tedr

Hi Herman,

Another method that user have used to get around this problem is to copy the videos out of the sandbox to your desk top. If you are using a the version of Sandbox that has “Bombardier” in its name you will find the videos in the /home/sandbox/sandbox_tutorials/local . You should be able to copy them out using scp or something similar. You can find the information on how they’ve done this in another thread on this forum.

Thanks,
    Ted

Collapse

Hi Abdelrahman

Thanks very much for the links.

I think that some of the tutorial numbers are slightly different from what you’ve written in your emails.

On April 10 at 11:21 am you sent a video for Hive and I believe it was the 3rd tutorial not the 2nd
    On April 10 at 6:10 pm you sent the first video for Pig and that was for the 2nd tutorial not the 1st
    and the second video was for Hcatalog and it was the 4th tutorial

Thanks again for your help

Herman

Collapse

abdelrahman

Hi Herman,

I totally agree with you. It is a bit difficult when we are in two different time zones. I will be happy to provide the link for the tutorial videos. There is no video for the 5th tutorial because it is about PIG. Here is the video about PIG in 1st tutorial.

- 4th tutorial

Hope this helps.

Thanks
    -Abdelrahman

Collapse

Hi Abdelrahman

How am I? I appreciate peoples contributions but this is taking a long time to fix or get around. Part of this may be due to the time difference between myself and other members.

Thanks very much for the link. Its late here in London so I didnt run the whole 16 minutes of the video. I played twice as much using your link as I did when it froze so its looking very promising.

Ive had similar problems with the 4th and 5th tutorials. Can ypu please let me know how you created the link.

Thanks

Herman

Collapse

abdelrahman

Hi Herman,

How is your day so far? If you want to watch the Hive 2nd tutorial video, Why do not you try this link directly.

Thanks
    -Abdelrhman

Collapse

Hi Ted and Robert

I was finally able to use the “Copy Link Address’. I held the control key down on the left of my MacBook Pro keyboard and at the same time clicked on the right hand corner. I didnt touch the control key during my previous attempts.

I did this near the “Apache Hive’ link at the beginning of the 2nd tutorial. I then pasted what I copied on the address bar and the following appeared:

http://192.168.56.101:8888/file/HiveModule.html

The video played for about 2 minutes and then froze.

This doesn’t look similar to the link that you gave me for the 2nd tutorial which had ‘youtube’ in the link.

Herman

Collapse

Robert
    Participant

Hi Herman,
    I believe you don’t need to highlight the link but simply right click it and you should get a contextual menu with the option to copy the link address. As far as your actual problem, I think the issue might specific to the vm itself or the vm software. A way to isolate would be to create another vm with the same settings and install CentOS on it (same version as the hdp sandbox image). This should help isolate if the issue is specific to the vm itself or the vm application.

Regards,
    Robert

Collapse

Hi Ted

One of the freezing occurrences was at the start of the third tutorial when I ran the ‘Apache Hive’ link. When you tell me to right click on the SandBox link is the ‘Apache Hive’ link the one that you’re referring to for this specific problem.?

When I highlight the ‘Apache Hive’ link and right click on it the video is triggered. I do not get “Copy Link Address”.

Thanks

Herman

Collapse

tedr

Hi Herman,

Considering the amount af RAM on your laptop I’d say that you shouldn’t increase the RAM for the VM any further. Your probably best to use the same trick that we did for the Pig video. You can get the link by right click on the link in the sandbox page and choosing "Copy Link Address". Then paste that address into a different tab as we did for the Pig video. But I do have to mention that the memory bit is probably why the network path through the sandbox is quite slow. So we need to do the workaround.

Thanks,
    Ted.

Collapse

Hi Seth

Oracle VM VirtualBox Manager shows the System Base Memory as 2048 MB. The Apple laptop has 4 GB Memory. Should I increase the memory since VM has 1/2 the laptop Memory already? If so what should I increase it to and should I do that from the VirtualBox Manager screen?

Thanks

Herman

Collapse

Seth Lyubich
    Keymaster

Hi Herman ,

Thanks for your feedback. Can you please check if your VM and network are running well. Can you try adding more memory to your VM and see if helps with the issue?

Hope this helps,

Thanks,
    Seth

Collapse
Viewing 15 replies - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)