Home Forums Hortonworks Sandbox AuthorizationException: hcat with root user

This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  tedr 1 year, 5 months ago.

• Creator
    Topic

Rupert Bailey
    Participant

It seems the system root user can’t read sandbox user created table schemas from command line hcat commands. Why is this? Do user tables need to be fully qualified somehow?

For example, a table schema I created through the web interface nyse_stocks cannot be read by:
    [root@sandbox ~]# hcat -e ‘describe nyse_stocks;’
    WARNING: org.apache.hadoop.metrics.jvm.EventCounter is deprecated. Please use org.apache.hadoop.log.metrics.EventCounter in all the log4j.properties files.
    Hive history file=/tmp/root/hive_job_log_root_201305190226_603099069.txt
    FAILED: AuthorizationException org.apache.hadoop.security.AccessControlException: action READ not permitted on path hdfs://sandbox:8020/apps/hive/warehouse/nyse_stocks for user root

However a table I created on the command line as root, can be viewed by the sandbox user in the web interface:
    [root@sandbox ~]# hcat -e ‘create table mytable(a int);’
    WARNING: org.apache.hadoop.metrics.jvm.EventCounter is deprecated. Please use org.apache.hadoop.log.metrics.EventCounter in all the log4j.properties files.
    Hive history file=/tmp/root/hive_job_log_root_201305190224_889288293.txt
    OK
    ->can now be seen in the web interface on the HCAT page.

Viewing 2 replies - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

• Author
    Replies

tedr

HI Rupert,

The root user is God mode on the system level, not on the hadoop/hdfs level – the user that is the most godlike in hadoop/hdfs is ‘hdfs’.

thanks,
    Ted.

Collapse

Rupert Bailey
    Participant

Okay I can answer that one myself:
    su – sandbox
    will place you as the other user and then you can view the HCAT script of that file. Strange that root is not “god mode” anymore :(

Collapse
Viewing 2 replies - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)