Home Forums Hortonworks Sandbox Can I have VMware and VirtualBox on the same laptop

This topic contains 3 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  tedr 1 year, 6 months ago.

• Creator
    Topic

I’m new to Virtual Machines. I used VMWare on my laptop recently and I would like to use VirtualBox. Can I just download VrtuakBox while VMware is still on my laptop or will there be a conflict.

Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

• Author
    Replies

tedr

Hi Herman,

Though it is indeed possible to have both VMware and Virtual Box installed on one laptop there is no need to have them both. You can do multiple VMs in Virtual Box or VMware Workstation/Fusion, but not VMware player. So If you need two virtual machines running I would suggest VirtualBox as it’s free.

Thanks,
    Ted.

Collapse

Thanks for getting back to me so soon

In the Getting Started section it tells you to download VirtualBox or VMware or Workstation. Thats where I got the idea that I might have 2 virtual machines on my laptop. Again I’m new to this.

from Getting Started

To try the Hortonworks Sandbox you must first download install Oracle VirtualBox or VMware Fusion or Workstation.

Download the version of Hortonworks Sandbox for your virtualization environment: VirtualBox Version (1.8 GB)
    Instructions for Oracle VirtualBox

VMware Version (1.9 GB)
    Instructions for VMware Fusion

Collapse

Seth Lyubich
    Keymaster

Hi Herman,

Can you please clarify how this relates to Hortonworks Sandbox forum? I have both setup on my laptop and this seems to work fine on my system. I think there might some possible issues if you run both VMs at the same time and bridge through same interface. However, Hortonworks Sandbox uses host-only and NAT interfaces. Please let us know if we can help with anything else.

Hope this helps,
    Thanks,
    Seth

Collapse
Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)