HDP on Windows – Installation Forum

Can not uninstall / re-install

Paul Cuddihy

Installed hdp-1.3.0.0.winpkg.msi successfuly on Windows Server 2008.

After finding problems in clusterproperties.txt, did some ill-advised and unsuccessful uninstall and re-install attempts.

I am now stuck in a situation where uninstall of the data platform via the Control Panel or msi file both fail. (DESTROY_DATA=”yes”). I’ve manually removed registry keys and environment variables.

Attempts to re-install still fail.

Log snippet:
    MSI (s) (5C:28) [11:04:31:307]: Invoking remote custom action. DLL: C:\Windows\Installer\MSI1412.tmp, Entrypoint: CAQuietExec
    MSI (s) (5C:9C) [11:04:31:307]: Generating random cookie.
    MSI (s) (5C:9C) [11:04:31:323]: Created Custom Action Server with PID 7900 (0x1EDC).
    MSI (s) (5C:FC) [11:04:31:494]: Running as a service.
    MSI (s) (5C:FC) [11:04:31:494]: Hello, I’m your 32bit Impersonated custom action server.
    CAQuietExec: The system cannot find the path specified.
    CAQuietExec: Error 0x80070001: Command line returned an error.
    CAQuietExec: Error 0x80070001: CAQuietExec Failed
    CustomAction UninstallDeferred returned actual error code 1603 (note this may not be 100% accurate if translation happened inside sandbox)
    Action ended 11:04:31: InstallFinalize. Return value 3.

to create new topics or reply. | New User Registration

• Author
    Replies
    Seth Lyubich

Hi Paul,

Can you please make sure that your Java and Python home variables are setup correctly?

Thanks,
    Seth

Paul Cuddihy

Java and Python installations look fine, just like the other machines on which the install was successful.
    Verified by typing “java -version” and “python” in a command line (below).

Python says “win 32″. I’m not sure why. It didn’t matter on the other machines.
    Machines are all 64-bit Windows Server 2008 HPC Edition. Service Pack 1.

What next?

-Paul

E:\>
    E:\>java -version
    java version “1.7.0_25″
    Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment (build 1.7.0_25-b17)
    Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM (build 23.25-b01, mixed mode)

E:\>python
    Python 2.7.5 (default, May 15 2013, 22:44:16) [MSC v.1500 64 bit (AMD64)] on win
    Type “help”, “copyright”, “credits” or “license” for more information.
    >>> exit()

E:\>

Paul Cuddihy

But OK, I see what you mean. On a machine where the installation succeeded:
    MSI (s) (4C:F8) [16:46:42:413]: Hello, I’m your 32bit Impersonated custom action server.
    CAQuietExec: Checking JAVA_HOME is set correctly…
    CAQuietExec: Checking python executable is present
    CAQuietExec: Good to go

on the failed machine, the install log says:
    MSI (s) (3C:64) [16:05:27:495]: Hello, I’m your 32bit Impersonated custom action server.
    CAQuietExec: The system cannot find the path specified.
    CAQuietExec: Error 0x80070001: Command line returned an error.
    CAQuietExec: Error 0x80070001: CAQuietExec Failed

Seth Lyubich

Hi Paul,

I wanted to clarify if that resolved your issue.

Thanks,
    Seth

Paul Cuddihy

Seth,

No. I have not solved the problem.
    Your post helped see why we should suspect a JAVA_HOME or Path problem.

But my other post (November 13, 2013 at 12:52 pm) has already shown that I can’t find any obvious problems with these environment variables.

-Paul

Paul Cuddihy

SOLUTION:
    Used regedit to remove every key that contained “horton”.
    Note there was an additional set of uninstall keys for 32-bit software running on 64-bit machines.
    (I had also run uninstall, plus manually removed all files I could find related to Hortonworks.)

Re-install now works correctly.

Seth Lyubich

Hi Paul,

Great to hear you got it working and for letting us know that you had to remove all related files in the registry.

Seth

Paul Cuddihy

Seth,
    I’m now solving my second round of troubles caused by “Program Files” and “Program Files (x86)” in my %PATH%.
    I’m completing replacement of these in the %PATH% variable of all machines in my cluster with “Progra~1″ and “Progra~2″.
    I’m rerunning hbase.cmd to regenerage xml files.

Earlier, I had to make this change in JAVA_HOME to get the installer to run.

Could you take it upon yourself to get this requirement a little more prominently displayed in the instructions. (I’m using http://docs.hortonworks.com/HDPDocuments/HDP-Win-1.3.0/ ) This would have been easier had I done it before installing.

Thanks for your help.

Seth Lyubich

Hi Paul,

Thanks for your feedback. This issue should be resolved in HDP 2.0.

Seth

You must be to reply to this topic. | Create Account

Support from the Experts

A HDP Support Subscription connects you experts with deep experience running Apache Hadoop in production, at-scale on the most demanding workloads.

Enterprise Support »

Become HDP Certified

Real world training designed by the core architects of Hadoop. Scenario-based training courses are available in-classroom or online from anywhere in the world

Training »

Hortonworks Data Platform
The Hortonworks Data Platform is a 100% open source distribution of Apache Hadoop that is truly enterprise grade having been built, tested and hardened with enterprise rigor.
Get started with Sandbox
Hortonworks Sandbox is a self-contained virtual machine with Apache Hadoop pre-configured alongside a set of hands-on, step-by-step Hadoop tutorials.
Modern Data Architecture
Tackle the challenges of big data. Hadoop integrates with existing EDW, RDBMS and MPP systems to deliver lower cost, higher capacity infrastructure.