The Hortonworks Community Connection is now live. A completely rebuilt Q&A forum, Knowledge Base, Code Hub and more, backed by the experts in the industry.

You will be redirected here in 10 seconds. If your are not redirected, click here to visit the new site.

The legacy Hortonworks Forum is now closed. You can view a read-only version of the former site by clicking here. The site will be taken offline on January 31,2016

HDP on Linux – Installation Forum

Cannot start NameNode with hdfs user

Rodulfo
    Participant

Hello,

Im trying to install Hadoop following the “Installing HDP Manually” manual (dated Oct 22, 2013). Installation goes fine but in step #4 “Validation the Core Hadoop Installation” I get an error if I want to format or start NameNode.

It seems like permission problems because for example when I try to start NameNode I get the error “/var/run/hadoop/hdfs/hadoop-hdfs-namenode.pid: Permission denied”

If I run the command with root everything works.

Any idea what I messed up during installation? Im pretty sure I missed a step relating Hadoop users permissions.

Any help would be highly appreciated.

Greetings,
    Rod

• Author
    Replies

Can you see the permission set for the folder /var/run/hadoop/hdfs? Ideally if the user is hdfs and the group is hadoop is should read as

drwxr-xr-x 2 hdfs hadoop 4096 Nov 26 11:12 hdfs

Please check to see if you have followed the below:
    http://docs.hortonworks.com/HDPDocuments/HDP1/HDP-1.3.3/bk_installing_manually_book/content/rpm-chap2-4.html?textToSearch=%2Fvar%2Frun%2Fhadoop%2Fhdfs

mkdir -p $HDFS_PID_DIR
    chown -R $HDFS_USER:$HADOOP_GROUP $HDFS_PID_DIR
    chmod -R 755 $HDFS_PID_DIR

Rodulfo
    Participant

In the end I changed to installing using Ambari server. I made it almost to the end and I got some errors, but I’ll start another thread.

Thanks anyway, Mahesh

The forum ‘HDP on Linux – Installation’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Support from the Experts

A HDP Support Subscription connects you experts with deep experience running Apache Hadoop in production, at-scale on the most demanding workloads.

Enterprise Support »

Become HDP Certified

Real world training designed by the core architects of Hadoop. Scenario-based training courses are available in-classroom or online from anywhere in the world

Training »

Hortonworks Data Platform
The Hortonworks Data Platform is a 100% open source distribution of Apache Hadoop that is truly enterprise grade having been built, tested and hardened with enterprise rigor.
Get started with Sandbox
Hortonworks Sandbox is a self-contained virtual machine with Apache Hadoop pre-configured alongside a set of hands-on, step-by-step Hadoop tutorials.
Modern Data Architecture
Tackle the challenges of big data. Hadoop integrates with existing EDW, RDBMS and MPP systems to deliver lower cost, higher capacity infrastructure.