Home Forums HDP on Linux – Installation Cannot start NameNode with hdfs user

This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Rodulfo 12 months ago.

• Creator
    Topic

Rodulfo
    Participant

Hello,

Im trying to install Hadoop following the “Installing HDP Manually” manual (dated Oct 22, 2013). Installation goes fine but in step #4 “Validation the Core Hadoop Installation” I get an error if I want to format or start NameNode.

It seems like permission problems because for example when I try to start NameNode I get the error “/var/run/hadoop/hdfs/hadoop-hdfs-namenode.pid: Permission denied”

If I run the command with root everything works.

Any idea what I messed up during installation? Im pretty sure I missed a step relating Hadoop users permissions.

Any help would be highly appreciated.

Greetings,
    Rod

Viewing 2 replies - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

• Author
    Replies

Rodulfo
    Participant

In the end I changed to installing using Ambari server. I made it almost to the end and I got some errors, but I’ll start another thread.

Thanks anyway, Mahesh

Collapse

Can you see the permission set for the folder /var/run/hadoop/hdfs? Ideally if the user is hdfs and the group is hadoop is should read as

drwxr-xr-x 2 hdfs hadoop 4096 Nov 26 11:12 hdfs

Please check to see if you have followed the below:

http://docs.hortonworks.com/HDPDocuments/HDP1/HDP-1.3.3/bk_installing_manually_book/content/rpm-chap2-4.html?textToSearch=%2Fvar%2Frun%2Fhadoop%2Fhdfs

mkdir -p $HDFS_PID_DIR
    chown -R $HDFS_USER:$HADOOP_GROUP $HDFS_PID_DIR
    chmod -R 755 $HDFS_PID_DIR

Collapse
Viewing 2 replies - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)