Home Forums Hortonworks Sandbox Can't change Sandbox Memory

This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  David Stevenson 7 months, 1 week ago.

• Creator
    Topic

David Stevenson
    Participant

Hi,

I’m running the sandbox v2.0 in Virtualbox using the .ova file imported to Virtualbox, with no modifications.

When I try to run some more complex queries using Hive, I get an out-of-memory error in the reduce phase. I have tried to change several of the relevant settings in mapred-site.xml, however this does not resolve the problem, and indeed the error message stays the same, saying “Container xxxxxx has run out physical memory, used 579MB out of 512MB” or similar, despite having increased the reduce memory in a couple of places in mapreduce-site.xml to 2048 i.e. it looks as though changing mapred-site.xml in /etc/hadoop/conf and rebooting doesn’t actually change these settings for me.

So three questions:
    1. Is there more than one place where mapred-site.xml is located.
    2. If so, which one should I modify.
    3. Any other reasons why the sandbox won’t pick up new settings when I reboot the VM?

If there isn’t an obvious solution, I’ll post the mapred-site.xml file and the actual error trace for comment.

Any help would be much appreciated,
    Many thanks,
    Stevod

Viewing 2 replies - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

The topic ‘Can't change Sandbox Memory’ is closed to new replies.

• Author
    Replies

David Stevenson
    Participant

Perfect, thank you.
    D

Collapse

Dave

Hi Stevod,

The memory settings for the sandbox are controlled through Ambari.
    You must make the changes in Ambari and restart the services. Please ensure that you have allocated enough memory to the Virtual Machine itself in VirtualBox (as it is 4GB as standard)
    You must run the following commands:
    ambari-server start
    ambari-agent start

login using admin/admin at 127.0.0.1:8080

From here you can change the memory settings for the various services as Ambari will overwrite any changes you make to the XML files directly.

Thanks

Dave

Collapse
Viewing 2 replies - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)