Hortonworks Sandbox Forum

Can't SSH to sandbox using Putty

Gaurav Singh

I have installed hortonworks sandbox-1.3 on Oracle Virtual box on my windows machine.
    The VM comes up without any problem. I can also access the http URL through browser ( and login with “hue” user.
    The problem is, when i do an ssh through putty on the given port (, there is no response coming up. It’s not even asking back for user/pass but simply hangs.

Pressing Ctrl+F5 in the VM lands me on the login screen and i am able to login to that but SSH is not getting connected.

Anybody came across any such issue ?
    Any suggestions are welcome or if i might be missing something then please share.

to create new topics or reply. | New User Registration

• Author

Hi Guarav,

Can you telnet to on port 2222 ?

Gaurav Singh

Hi Dave, Thanks for the response.
    I tried “telnet 2222” from command prompt. It’s getting stuck the same way it’s being in case of SSH.

Hi Guarav,

If you use VMWare Player and use our sandbox for this, do you have the same issues?

Hi Dave,

I have successfully used : 2222 in putty to do SSH to Hortonworks Sandbox. But if I have two hortonworks sandbox VMs, how to SSH them both individually on : 2222 ?

You must be to reply to this topic. | Create Account

Support from the Experts

A HDP Support Subscription connects you experts with deep experience running Apache Hadoop in production, at-scale on the most demanding workloads.

Enterprise Support »

Become HDP Certified

Real world training designed by the core architects of Hadoop. Scenario-based training courses are available in-classroom or online from anywhere in the world

Training »

Hortonworks Data Platform
The Hortonworks Data Platform is a 100% open source distribution of Apache Hadoop that is truly enterprise grade having been built, tested and hardened with enterprise rigor.
Get started with Sandbox
Hortonworks Sandbox is a self-contained virtual machine with Apache Hadoop pre-configured alongside a set of hands-on, step-by-step Hadoop tutorials.
Modern Data Architecture
Tackle the challenges of big data. Hadoop integrates with existing EDW, RDBMS and MPP systems to deliver lower cost, higher capacity infrastructure.