Home Forums HDP on Linux – Installation Changing default users/groups

This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  rajeev kaul 10 months, 2 weeks ago.

• Creator
    Topic

rajeev kaul
    Participant

Is it possible to change the default users/groups used by Ambari before installation. We have Linux servers that are tightly controlled and our admins do not allow any app creating users and groups. Another restriction is the length of the usernames cannot exceed 8 chars. One of the user ids (zookeeper) that Ambari creates by default is 9 chars. We are planning to create the default users and groups manually before installing Ambari. If we create an 8 character id for zookeeper, a) will it create problems during installation, and b) can we configure the zookeeper id for Ambari to be different from the default value.

Viewing 2 replies - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

• Author
    Replies

rajeev kaul
    Participant

I found out that there are actually 3 user ids created by the Ambari installtion of HDP 1.3.3, that exceed 8 characters :
    1) zookeeper
    2) ambari_qa
    3) rrdcached

The Ambari installation process allows us to change the default user ids for zookeeper and ambari_qa. But I can’t figure out what creates the user rrdcached. It is probably by some ganglia installation process. I checked the puppet scripts for ganglia in the HDP stack, and I could not find anything about the user rrdcached, It does not even appear to be used by the rrdached daemon. When I ran the ps -ef command, I noticed that rrdached daemon is run by user “nobody”. Therefore, I am wondering if the user rrdcached and its group rrdached are needed at all. Can someone please shed some light on this?

Thanks

Collapse

Dave

Hi Rajeev,

Due to the restrictions on your hardware you may be better off using the RPM (manual) installation of the cluster.

Thanks

Dave

Collapse
Viewing 2 replies - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)