Home Forums Hortonworks Sandbox Cluster of Sandbox VMs

This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Todd Wasson 7 months, 2 weeks ago.

• Creator
    Topic

Todd Wasson
    Participant

Hi everyone, I’m looking to build a small cluster of Virtualbox Sandbox VMs to test out Storm, and I’m running into some annoyances. To do this, I’ve changed the networking mode of each VM to host-only networking, with the intention of giving each one a unique fixed IP address and hostname and put all of these in each VM’s (and my host’s) /etc/hosts file. However,

a) when I edit /etc/hosts in the VMs, those changes immediately go away upon a reboot and I can’t figure out what’s overwriting them
    b) when I set the hostname via /etc/sysconfig/network the apache server complains at boot that it can’t find the fully-qualified domain name (even though I’ve provided it)

I suspect there might be more annoying things going on as well, but these two are immediately problematic. When I grep for sandbox in /etc/, I see there are a ton of places where the hostname is hard-coded as sandbox.hortonworks.com, so I guess my larger question from this point as well as the specific problems above is: if I’d like to have a small cluster of sandbox VMs, what’s the best way to go about it? Secondarily, if anyone can help with the above problems, I’d appreciate it.

Thanks, and sorry for gratuitous rambling.

Todd

PS- I did find a previous topic regarding this here but it was both outdated and not especially helpful.

Viewing 2 replies - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

• Author
    Replies

Todd Wasson
    Participant

Hi Dave, thanks for the advice, and for saving me from going down a rabbit hole. I’ll look into going that route instead.

Todd

Collapse

Dave

Hi Todd,

You would be better off installing your own 4 Node cluster using Ambari.
    The Sandbox wasn’t designed to be reverse engineered and forced into a cluster – the logistics of it would be much longer to do this than actually to build it yourself.

Thanks

Dave

Collapse
Viewing 2 replies - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)