Home Forums MapReduce Creating own MapReduce word count example

This topic contains 9 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  Karthikeyan Natarajan 8 months, 3 weeks ago.

• Creator
    Topic

Hi All,
    I am new on hadoop and Horton sanbox. Now I just want to run a simple wordcount example on sandbox with my own input file. This will motivate me in learning haddop.
    Till now I have done below things.
    1) Have installed sandbox on vertual machine
    2) Able to login sandbox command line with user “root”
    My next step should be
    1)Make the input dir
    2) Take the my own input file into the sandbox from host PC.
    3)Make the output directory
    4)Then create the MApRedure for word count
    5)Run the created Mapreduce and check the output directory

Please let me know if steps I need to be done is correct and a;so help me how can i do the above steps in sandbox

Viewing 9 replies - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

• Author
    Replies

How can I access files which I have uploaded into HDP using file browser ?

Collapse

If somebody can give step-by-step instructions from running one’s own MapReduce jar file. Specifically, I am looking for help in 2 areas.
    1. How and where to copy my jar from Windows to Sandbox 1.3.
    2. How and where to copy my input file.

Collapse

Sasha J

All files uploaded to cluster are located in HDFS.
    Use command:

hadoop fs -ls /

to see the HDFS content.

Sasha

Collapse

Hi Ted,
    I couldn’t find any file other than ambari.sh file when I logged into sandbox using credentials root/hadoop.Please help me.
    How can I access files which I have uploaded into HDP using file browser for my mapreduce projects?

Thanks,
    Suthan

Collapse

tedr

Hi Suthan,

The compiled code for the examples is in the hadoop-examples.jar in the /usr/lib/hadoop directory. You will need to log into the sandbox shell to see this file. the source code is available on line.

Thanks,
    Ted.

Collapse

Hi Chandra,
    Could you please tell me the location in sandbox where I can find word-count example.
    I am not able to locate it.Please help!

Thanks,
    Suthan

Collapse

Sasha J

Chandra,
    There are few steps:
    1. edit you source code using “vi” text processor,
    2. compile your java code, use “javac” for it
    3. run your compiled java program, use “java” for this.
    Take a look at the wordcount sample code to get any idea of mapreduce code logic:

http://cs.smith.edu/dftwiki/index.php/Hadoop_WordCount.java

Thank you!
    Sasha

Collapse

Hi Ted,
    Thanks for your reply.
    But could you please let me know how can i use vi to write the Mapreduce code and compile the same in command line. Could you please send the step by step procedure as I am new to hadoop once I will get these basic things then I can play with sandbox confidently.

However yesterday I ran sample wordcount hadoop example present there in sandbox and worked fine for me.Now i want to run somthing which i have written and that only i wanted to create my own wordcount example in sandbox and wated to run the same.
    Thanks
    Chandra

Collapse

tedr

Hi Chandra,

Your steps are mostly correct, the only step that should NOT be done is making the output directory prior to running the MapReduce job. Also to create you own MapReduce code you’ll either need to develop it out side the sandbox then move it to the sandbox to run it or use vi and command line tools in the sandbox for compiling the code.

Thanks,
    Ted.

Collapse
Viewing 9 replies - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)