HDP on Linux – Installation Forum

Error Connecting through Host

Hi all,
    I’ve imported the Hortonworks Hadoop Sandbox appliance into Oracle Virtualbox. It boots fine, and I can get to the home splash page from my host firefox browser without any problems at http://127.0.0.1:8888. However, when I click on Goto Sandbox button, I get a Page Not Found 404 error. Samething happens if I click on Tutorials, it loads tutorials on left side but I get a Page not Found 404 Error on the right pane.
    To test the VM, I installed KDE and the Hadoop works fine locally on the VM.
    Any thoughts?

to create new topics or reply. | New User Registration

• Author
    Replies

SOLVED
    I got it working after spending almost over half a day on it. Here is what I did to get it going:
    1. Removed the VM from Virtualbox Manager
    2. Re-Imported the Hortonworks Hadoop Appliance
    3. Bumped up the RAM to 4096MB
    4. Added another Network Adapter as Bridged
    5. Booted the virtual machine
    6. Logged in as root/hadoop
    7. Did #ifconfig and noted down the IP Address for the eth1 adapter that was (192.168.0.116)
    8. Launched Firefox browser and entered http://192.168.0.116:8888 and got the Splash Home Page
    9. Clicked on [ GO TO SANDBOX ] button and viola It worked like a charm

Lesson Learned: Add a Bridged adapter and don’t use 127.0.0.1:8888 instead use the eth1 adapter IP-Address:8888

Thanks,
    Aijaz

…and it runs on Microsoft IE10 verified/validated.

Kenny Zhang

Hi Aijaz,

Great to hear this is solved. Thanks for letting us know.

Thanks,
    Kenny

The topic ‘Error Connecting through Host’ is closed to new replies.

Support from the Experts

A HDP Support Subscription connects you experts with deep experience running Apache Hadoop in production, at-scale on the most demanding workloads.

Enterprise Support »

Become HDP Certified

Real world training designed by the core architects of Hadoop. Scenario-based training courses are available in-classroom or online from anywhere in the world

Training »

Hortonworks Data Platform
The Hortonworks Data Platform is a 100% open source distribution of Apache Hadoop that is truly enterprise grade having been built, tested and hardened with enterprise rigor.
Get started with Sandbox
Hortonworks Sandbox is a self-contained virtual machine with Apache Hadoop pre-configured alongside a set of hands-on, step-by-step Hadoop tutorials.
Modern Data Architecture
Tackle the challenges of big data. Hadoop integrates with existing EDW, RDBMS and MPP systems to deliver lower cost, higher capacity infrastructure.