HDP on Linux – Installation Forum

Error Connecting through Host

Hi all,
    I’ve imported the Hortonworks Hadoop Sandbox appliance into Oracle Virtualbox. It boots fine, and I can get to the home splash page from my host firefox browser without any problems at However, when I click on Goto Sandbox button, I get a Page Not Found 404 error. Samething happens if I click on Tutorials, it loads tutorials on left side but I get a Page not Found 404 Error on the right pane.
    To test the VM, I installed KDE and the Hadoop works fine locally on the VM.
    Any thoughts?

to create new topics or reply. | New User Registration

• Author

I got it working after spending almost over half a day on it. Here is what I did to get it going:
    1. Removed the VM from Virtualbox Manager
    2. Re-Imported the Hortonworks Hadoop Appliance
    3. Bumped up the RAM to 4096MB
    4. Added another Network Adapter as Bridged
    5. Booted the virtual machine
    6. Logged in as root/hadoop
    7. Did #ifconfig and noted down the IP Address for the eth1 adapter that was (
    8. Launched Firefox browser and entered and got the Splash Home Page
    9. Clicked on [ GO TO SANDBOX ] button and viola It worked like a charm

Lesson Learned: Add a Bridged adapter and don’t use instead use the eth1 adapter IP-Address:8888

…and it runs on Microsoft IE10 verified/validated.

Kenny Zhang

Hi Aijaz,

Great to hear this is solved. Thanks for letting us know.

The topic ‘Error Connecting through Host’ is closed to new replies.

Support from the Experts

A HDP Support Subscription connects you experts with deep experience running Apache Hadoop in production, at-scale on the most demanding workloads.

Enterprise Support »

Become HDP Certified

Real world training designed by the core architects of Hadoop. Scenario-based training courses are available in-classroom or online from anywhere in the world

Training »

Hortonworks Data Platform
The Hortonworks Data Platform is a 100% open source distribution of Apache Hadoop that is truly enterprise grade having been built, tested and hardened with enterprise rigor.
Get started with Sandbox
Hortonworks Sandbox is a self-contained virtual machine with Apache Hadoop pre-configured alongside a set of hands-on, step-by-step Hadoop tutorials.
Modern Data Architecture
Tackle the challenges of big data. Hadoop integrates with existing EDW, RDBMS and MPP systems to deliver lower cost, higher capacity infrastructure.