Home Forums HDP on Linux – Installation error ntpd not running

This topic contains 10 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Sivagamasundari Veerabahu 1 year, 1 month ago.

• Creator
    Topic

Madhu Borkar

I am installing hdp 1.3.2 using ambari host + 3 nodes
    Using ambari install first node is success, but for next 2 nodes it gives error
    ntpd not running on first node, which is ready successfully registered?
    I made sure that first node has ntpd installed and running from the boot.
    would appreciate any help?
    Thanks

Viewing 10 replies - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

• Author
    Replies

I was not successful in installing 1.3.2 also my management wants to get to version 2.0 as its released now.
    So I am re-imaging the servers and will start a fresh install of HDP 2.0
    Will keep you posted.

Thanks a lot Dave!!

Collapse

Dave

Hi,

HDP 1.3.2 comes with ambari-server version 1.2.5.17
    You can check by running rpm -qa | grep ambari-server

Thanks

Dave

Collapse

Jeff,
    I am installing HDP 1.3.2 ,thru Ambari on Linux RHEL5.8 , Doesnt that come with Ambari server 1.2.3 ?

Collapse

Jeff Sposetti

There might have been an issue in Ambari 1.2.5 that looks like it’s fixed in the latest Ambari release.

https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/AMBARI-2850

Please confirm if you are running Ambari 1.2.5 (ambari-server –version).

Collapse

Madhu/Dave

Can you tell me how you fixed the ntpd not running issue.. I have the same issue where I see the ntp up and running on both the nodes but for some reason the installer is complaining thats its not running.
    It registered both the nodes but Its complaining the ntpd not running.

Can you please share what was done to fix this.
    Thanks

Collapse

Dave

Hi Madhu,

You need to open /etc/ambari-server/conf/ambari.properties with a text editor.

Add the client API port property and set it to your desired port value:

client.api.port=
    Start (or re-start) the Ambari Server. You can now access Ambari Web via the newly configured port:

http://:

Obviously choose a port that is free – do a netstat -an – I would suggest perhaps 50000 or anything which will not clash (even if it’s just for the purpose of installation

Thanks

Dave

Collapse

Madhu Borkar

I went ahead and resolved the issue I had with ntpd not running.
    Since 8080 port is used by vmware process, i modified ambari server port to 8085 and started installation.
    It goes upto 4% only and then stops. Whwn I checked the server log (see below) it shows that 8085 port is already in use? It is used by ambari installer.
    Any help would be welcome.
    Thanks
    -Madhu

17:18:07,061 INFO AmbariServer:342 – ********* Initializing ActionManager **********
    17:18:07,061 INFO AmbariServer:344 – ********* Initializing Controller **********
    17:18:07,063 INFO AmbariManagementControllerImpl:173 – Initializing the AmbariManagementControllerImpl
    17:18:07,066 INFO Server:266 – jetty-7.6.7.v20120910
    17:18:07,110 INFO ContextHandler:744 – started o.e.j.s.ServletContextHandler{/,file:/usr/lib/ambari-server/web/}
    17:18:09,979 INFO ClusterImpl:165 – Loading Service Host Components
    17:18:10,172 WARN HeartbeatMonitor:123 – Hearbeat lost from host cloudera-cdh-2.etouch.net
    17:18:10,128 WARN AbstractLifeCycle:204 – FAILED SelectChannelConnector@0.0.0.0:8085: java.net.BindException: Address already in use
    java.net.BindException: Address already in use
    at sun.nio.ch.Net.bind(Native Method)
    at sun.nio.ch.ServerSocketChannelImpl.bind(ServerSocketChannelImpl.java:126)
    at sun.nio.ch.ServerSocketAdaptor.bind(ServerSocketAdaptor.java:59)
    at org.eclipse.jetty.server.nio.SelectChannelConnector.open(SelectChannelConnector.java:187)
    at org.eclipse.jetty.server.AbstractConnector.doStart(AbstractConnector.java:316)
    at org.eclipse.jetty.server.nio.SelectChannelConnector.doStart(SelectChannelConnector.java:265)
    at org.eclipse.jetty.util.component.AbstractLifeCycle.start(AbstractLifeCycle.java:64)
    at org.eclipse.jetty.server.Server.doStart(Server.java:286)
    at org.eclipse.jetty.util.component.AbstractLifeCycle.start(AbstractLifeCycle.java:64)
    at org.apache.ambari.server.controller.AmbariServer.run(AmbariServer.java:356)
    at org.apache.ambari.server.controller.AmbariServer.main(AmbariServer.java:454)
    17:18:10,176 WARN AbstractLifeCycle:204 – FAILED org.eclipse.jetty.server.Server@356e3aaf: java.net.BindException: Address already in use
    java.net.BindException: Address already in use
    at sun.nio.ch.Net.bind(Native Method)
    at sun.nio.ch.ServerSocketChannelImpl.bind(ServerSocketChannelImpl.java:126)
    at sun.nio.ch.ServerSocketAdaptor.bind(ServerSocketAdaptor.java:59)

Collapse

Dave

Hi Madhu,

It should install on all nodes which it can connect to.
    2 of the nodes show RED in the Ambari setup, then it will not install to these nodes.
    If they show green with warnings, then you will be ok.

Thanks

Dave

Collapse

Madhu Borkar

Thanks.
    While installing using ambari web install will it take into account other 2 nodes where it shows error? or it will only install on node1?
    Please, let me know

Collapse

Dave

Hi Madhu,

This is just a warning more than an error. You can run and install on them, as long as the time is the same.
    You need to ensure the time is synched between all the servers for your cluster.

Ambari will still install the agents & components on servers where ntp is not running, it will just cause problems in your cluster if all the times are set incorrectly.

Thanks

Dave

Collapse
Viewing 10 replies - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)