Home Forums Hive / HCatalog Excel data not loading

This topic contains 4 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Chuck Hooper 1 year ago.

• Creator
    Topic

Chuck Hooper

Running Sandbox for Windows, using VirtualBox.
    Using Tableau to access the two sample data sets. All’s well.
    Trying to load a small Excel fie using HCatalog.
    The process runs and says there are no errors, but, no data gets loaded.
    998 rows in the data, 24 columns. Nothing tricky in the Excel file. Single tab.
    Helpful comments appreciated. Thanks, in advance…

Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

• Author
    Replies

Chuck Hooper

I’m using 1.3,,, Pulled from the USB stick being handed out at the Hadoop Summit (San Jose CA), last week.
    If you’re interested, here’s a Dropbox link to the demo spreadsheet.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/78131309/Tableau_Demo.xls

Collapse

tedr

Hi Chuck,

I should have asked this previously, what version of the Sandbox are you using? I cannot duplicate your issue with an excel sheet filled with random numbers on Sandbox 1.3

Thanks,
    Ted

Collapse

Chuck Hooper

Ted, The file I am using is an .XLS file. IF I save that data as a TAB delimited file, it loads OK.
    During the process of loading the TAB delimited file, I see the msg “Creating Table….”, then see the message that it is populating the table.
    When I use the XLS file as input, I ONLY see the “Creating table…” message, then it ends, with no error.
    I don’t see any option to tell HCat to LOAD the XLS data, like I do when processing the TAB delimited file…
    Thanks….

Collapse

tedr

Hi Chuck,

To help me in trying to replicate this problem, was the Excel file saved as a tab delimited .txt, .xsl or . . .?

Thanks,
    Ted.

Collapse
Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)