HDFS Forum

execute "hdfs dfs -ls" get "No FileSystem for scheme: hdfs" error

Katrina Poon

execute “hdfs dfs -ls” get “No FileSystem for scheme: hdfs” error

Installed hadoop, cluster through Ambari. After installation and all services started, I tried to to run some ‘hdfs’ shell command to make sure things are working properly. However, I am getting errors of ” No FileSystem for scheme: hdfs”
    googling around suggest CLASSPATH issue. Tried various CLASSPATH setting, but no

I am logged in as ‘hdfs’ tried execute following :
    /usr/bin/hdfs dfs -copyFromLocal /etc/passwd /passwdTest
    /usr/bin/hdfs dfs -ls

Here are the errors:
    bash-4.1$ /usr/bin/hdfs dfs -copyFromLocal /etc/passwd /passwdTest
    copyFromLocal: No FileSystem for scheme: hdfs
    bash-4.1$ hdfs dfs -ls
    ls: No FileSystem for scheme: hdfs
    bash-4.1$ echo $CLASSPATH

bash-4.1$ whoami

to create new topics or reply. | New User Registration

• Author
    Jing Zhao

Hi Katrina,

Please try “hdfs dfs -ls /”. You need to provide the path for the ls command.

Katrina Poon

same error:

bash-4.1$ hdfs dfs -ls /
    ls: No FileSystem for scheme: hdfs

You must be to reply to this topic. | Create Account

Support from the Experts

A HDP Support Subscription connects you experts with deep experience running Apache Hadoop in production, at-scale on the most demanding workloads.

Enterprise Support »

Become HDP Certified

Real world training designed by the core architects of Hadoop. Scenario-based training courses are available in-classroom or online from anywhere in the world

Training »

Hortonworks Data Platform
The Hortonworks Data Platform is a 100% open source distribution of Apache Hadoop that is truly enterprise grade having been built, tested and hardened with enterprise rigor.
Get started with Sandbox
Hortonworks Sandbox is a self-contained virtual machine with Apache Hadoop pre-configured alongside a set of hands-on, step-by-step Hadoop tutorials.
Modern Data Architecture
Tackle the challenges of big data. Hadoop integrates with existing EDW, RDBMS and MPP systems to deliver lower cost, higher capacity infrastructure.