Home Forums Hortonworks Sandbox Fail booting Hortonworks Sandbox virtual machine with Virtual Box

This topic contains 4 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Ivan Gavran 1 year ago.

• Creator
    Topic

Hi,
    I have a problem when I try to boot de virtual machine.

After booting an error message apears saying “The kernel requires an X86-64 CPU, but only detected i686 CPU.
    UNABLE TO BOOT,PLEASE USE A KERNEL APPROPRIATE FOR YOUR CPU.”

I can’t modify “acceleration label” in Virtual Box because it’s unavailable.

I’m using Windows 7 64 bits.

Anybody can help me, please ?

Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

• Author
    Replies

Ivan Gavran

Thank you, Cheryle, that helped! As it seems to be an issue for lot of people, let me restate here what I found in the comment section:

It is needed to click on Sandbox inside VB. THe first tab is “General”. There is field Type = Linux, and just underneath it field Version. Ons should set Version to “Ubuntu (64 bit)”.

Collapse

Cheryle Custer

Ivan,

Please look at the Comment section of this post: http://hereirestinremorse.wordpress.com/virtualbox/this-kernel-requires-an-x86-64-cpu-but-only-detected-an-i686-cpu-unable-to-boot-please-use-a-kernel-appropriate-for-your-cpu/

There is a discussion of changing the OS type to Ubuntu 64bit to solve the issue.

Collapse

Ivan Gavran

Hi! I have similar problem with VirtualBox: “After booting an error message apears saying “The kernel requires an X86-64 CPU, but only detected i686 CPU.
    UNABLE TO BOOT,PLEASE USE A KERNEL APPROPRIATE FOR YOUR CPU.”

My machine is x86_64.
    I’m using Ubuntu 12.04., I enabled VT-x in BIOS and checked VT-x and nested paging in Acceleration tab, but problem is still there. Log file can be found here. I’d appreciate any hints/experiences about solution for this problem?

Collapse

Larry Liu

Hi, Ignacio,

Is it still an issue? Can you please also try to enable virtualization from BIOS?

Thanks
    Larry

Collapse
Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)