The Hortonworks Community Connection is now live. A completely rebuilt Q&A forum, Knowledge Base, Code Hub and more, backed by the experts in the industry.

You will be redirected here in 10 seconds. If your are not redirected, click here to visit the new site.

The legacy Hortonworks Forum is now closed. You can view a read-only version of the former site by clicking here. The site will be taken offline on January 31,2016

Hortonworks Sandbox Forum

Fail booting Hortonworks Sandbox virtual machine with Virtual Box

Hi,
    I have a problem when I try to boot de virtual machine.

After booting an error message apears saying “The kernel requires an X86-64 CPU, but only detected i686 CPU.
    UNABLE TO BOOT,PLEASE USE A KERNEL APPROPRIATE FOR YOUR CPU.”

I can’t modify “acceleration label” in Virtual Box because it’s unavailable.

I’m using Windows 7 64 bits.

Anybody can help me, please ?

• Author
    Replies
    Larry Liu

Hi, Ignacio,

Is it still an issue? Can you please also try to enable virtualization from BIOS?

Thanks
    Larry

Ivan Gavran

Hi! I have similar problem with VirtualBox: “After booting an error message apears saying “The kernel requires an X86-64 CPU, but only detected i686 CPU.
    UNABLE TO BOOT,PLEASE USE A KERNEL APPROPRIATE FOR YOUR CPU.”

My machine is x86_64.
    I’m using Ubuntu 12.04., I enabled VT-x in BIOS and checked VT-x and nested paging in Acceleration tab, but problem is still there. Log file can be found here. I’d appreciate any hints/experiences about solution for this problem?

Cheryle Custer

Ivan,

Please look at the Comment section of this post: http://hereirestinremorse.wordpress.com/virtualbox/this-kernel-requires-an-x86-64-cpu-but-only-detected-an-i686-cpu-unable-to-boot-please-use-a-kernel-appropriate-for-your-cpu/

There is a discussion of changing the OS type to Ubuntu 64bit to solve the issue.

Ivan Gavran

Thank you, Cheryle, that helped! As it seems to be an issue for lot of people, let me restate here what I found in the comment section:

It is needed to click on Sandbox inside VB. THe first tab is “General”. There is field Type = Linux, and just underneath it field Version. Ons should set Version to “Ubuntu (64 bit)”.

The forum ‘Hortonworks Sandbox’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Support from the Experts

A HDP Support Subscription connects you experts with deep experience running Apache Hadoop in production, at-scale on the most demanding workloads.

Enterprise Support »

Become HDP Certified

Real world training designed by the core architects of Hadoop. Scenario-based training courses are available in-classroom or online from anywhere in the world

Training »

Hortonworks Data Platform
The Hortonworks Data Platform is a 100% open source distribution of Apache Hadoop that is truly enterprise grade having been built, tested and hardened with enterprise rigor.
Get started with Sandbox
Hortonworks Sandbox is a self-contained virtual machine with Apache Hadoop pre-configured alongside a set of hands-on, step-by-step Hadoop tutorials.
Modern Data Architecture
Tackle the challenges of big data. Hadoop integrates with existing EDW, RDBMS and MPP systems to deliver lower cost, higher capacity infrastructure.