Home Forums HDP on Linux – Installation Ganglia Monitor component remains down after installation of HDP2

This topic contains 5 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Victor Chugunov 5 months, 1 week ago.

• Creator
    Topic

Vinay Sudhakaran
    Participant

Hi,

I’ve been able to successfully install all the components of HDP2, except the Ganglia Monitor process on a single node Linux VM with CentOS 6.5
    Summary:
    Hostname:
    localhost.localdomain
    IP Address:
    <My IP Address>
    centos6 (x86_64)
    CPU:
    Disk:
    Data Unavailable
    Memory:
    5.71GB
    Load Avg:

Agent
    Heartbeat:
    less than a minute ago

Ganglia Server: Started
    Ganglia Monitors: 0/1 Ganglia Monitors Live

The Alerts and Health checks display:
    Ganglia Monitor process for [Slaves, Resource Manager, NameNode, HistoryServer, HBase Master]
    Connection refused

Any idea why the Ganglia Monitor process is not starting? Any recommendations to get this working would be helpful.
    I edited the gmond.conf and gmetad.conf to add my cluster name. Also, changed the hostname to localhost.localdomain but in vain.

Regards,
    VS

Viewing 5 replies - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

• Author
    Replies

Victor Chugunov
    Participant

I have similar configuration and similar problems:
    Ganglia Server: Started
    Ganglia Monitors: 0/1 Ganglia Monitors Live

Ganglia Monitor process for [Slaves, Resource Manager, NameNode, HistoryServer, HBase Master]
    Connection refused

The suggested solution ( to modify the /etc/ganglia/hdp/HDP[*]/conf.d/gmond.master.conf files) doesn’t work for me – and they will be overwritten each time Ganglia Monitor is restarted. On the main dashboard page 4 metrics widgets (CPU Usage,Cluster Load, Memory Usage, Network Usage) have no data, only message “No Data. There was no data available. Possible reasons include inaccessible Ganglia service”. Ambari-server.log contains these statements:
    20:41:34,233 ERROR [pool-1-thread-14] JMXPropertyProvider:487 – Caught exception getting JMX metrics : Connection refused
    20:41:34,239 ERROR [pool-1-thread-8] JMXPropertyProvider:487 – Caught exception getting JMX metrics : Connection refused
    20:41:40,442 ERROR [pool-1-thread-23] JMXPropertyProvider:487 – Caught exception getting JMX metrics : Connection refused
    20:41:40,447 ERROR [pool-1-thread-20] JMXPropertyProvider:487 – Caught exception getting JMX metrics : Connection refused
    20:41:46,652 ERROR [pool-1-thread-15] JMXPropertyProvider:487 – Caught exception getting JMX metrics : Connection refused
    20:41:46,657 ERROR [pool-1-thread-27] JMXPropertyProvider:487 – Caught exception getting JMX metrics : Connection refused

Any idea why the Ganglia Monitor process is not starting? Any recommendations to get this working would be helpful.
    Thanks
    Victor

Collapse

Jeff Sposetti

Thanks Vinay. I think you only need to comment out the “bind = ” and that will work too.

Collapse

Vinay Sudhakaran
    Participant

Hi,

I played around a bit with the hdp-gmond and hdp-gmetad conf files and was able to resolve the issue by commenting out the following lines in the /etc/ganglia/hdp/HDP[*]/conf.d/gmond.master.conf files

/* The gmond cluster master must additionally provide an XML
    * description of the cluster to the gmetad that will query it.
    */
    /*
    tcp_accept_channel {
    bind = localhost.localdomain
    port = 8664
    }
    */

Now, I have all the services up and ganglia reporting the metrics for them on a single node VM.

Collapse

Vinay Sudhakaran
    Participant

[root@localhost ~]# hostname -f
    localhost.localdomain
    [root@localhost ~]# cat /etc/hosts
    127.0.0.1 localhost.localdomain localhost
    ::1 localhost6.localdomain6 localhost6

While installing HDP2, I had changed the ganglia user from ‘nobody’ to ‘vinay’.
    I updated that information in gmond.conf and gmetad.conf and since then Ganglia has been working. I can see the system metrics @http://localhost.localdomain/ganglia but in the HDP dashboard, the ganglia server and the monitor components don’t start. Hence, I continue to get this:

Connection refused

Thanks,
    VS

Collapse

Jeff Sposetti

Hi,

1) What is in your /etc/hosts file?
    2) What does “hostname -f” return?

Thanks!

Collapse
Viewing 5 replies - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)