Home Forums HDP on Linux – Installation ganglia server will not start

This topic contains 7 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Jason Morse 1 year, 4 months ago.

• Creator
    Topic

Jason Morse
    Participant

We have a 5 node cluster and ganglia server will not start. It seems to be that the startup script does not like that we changed the location of ganglia during install. Instead of /var/lib/ganglia we set it as /var/hadoop/lib/ganglia. It seems Ambari created a sym link to the /var/lib/ganglia directory and this is causing an error with starting rrdcached. When we updated the path in the start script ganglia server started back up but it seems puppet reverted the change back and now we cannot start ganglia server again. Where would we change the puppet config to update the rrdcached start script so that it will reflect the /var/hadoop/lib/ganglia directory directly?

Viewing 7 replies - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

• Author
    Replies

Jason Morse
    Participant

Ted have you heard back from your engineer yet?

Collapse

Jason Morse
    Participant

Sounds good Ted thanks a lot!

Collapse

tedr

Hi Jason,

I have talked with one of our Ambari engineers about your issue. He told me that there is a way to change this behind the scenes, he’s going to email the script to me, when he does I’ll send it to you via email as this is something we don’t currently wish to make public.

thanks,
    Ted.

Collapse

Jason Morse
    Participant

I have a little more information I can get ganglia server to start up if I edit /usr/libexec/hdp/ganglia/gangliaLib.sh and change the line:
    RRDCACHED_BASE_DIR=/var/lib/ganglia/rrds;
    to
    RRDCACHED_BASE_DIR=/var/hadoop/lib/ganglia/rrds;

After making this change ganglia server starts up no problem, but, if I stop ganglia from Ambari the line gets changed back to the original and ganglia server will not start again. I am guessing there is a puppet class making this change that is invoked when Ambari runs the stop on ganglia. I just do not know where that is.

Collapse

tedr

Hi Jason,

Thanks for the update. Will continue to ask around for this info.

Ted.

Collapse

Jason Morse
    Participant

Thanks Ted, I think I know how to fix it. I really just need to know where the puppet class is that sets the location that rrdcached starts up from. We found the script that needs to be changed but puppet changes it back on it’s next run. I will give you more info later today.

Collapse

tedr

Hi Jason,

I was hoping that someone else out there in forum land had seen this and figured out how to fix it, but since no one has answered I guess there is no one, so I’m going to try and duplicate it and find a fix. Will post again when I have results.

thanks,
    Ted.

Collapse
Viewing 7 replies - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)