HDP on Linux – Installation Forum

HBase causes errors in Namenode logs

Francois BORIE
    Participant

Hello,

First of all, thanks for developing Ambari and HDP. We greatly appreciate the work done.

I have those frequent error messages in the namenode logs, on 2 different clusters deployed with HDP 1.2 and Ambari 1.2.3.7 – version of hbase is hbase-0.94.5.23-1.el6.noarch

2013-05-27 00:00:00,910 WARN org.apache.hadoop.security.ShellBasedUnixGroupsMapping: got exception trying to get groups for user hbase
    org.apache.hadoop.util.Shell$ExitCodeException: id: hbase: No such user

at org.apache.hadoop.util.Shell.runCommand(Shell.java:255)
    at org.apache.hadoop.util.Shell.run(Shell.java:182)
    at org.apache.hadoop.util.Shell$ShellCommandExecutor.execute(Shell.java:375)
    at org.apache.hadoop.util.Shell.execCommand(Shell.java:461)
    at org.apache.hadoop.util.Shell.execCommand(Shell.java:444)
    at org.apache.hadoop.security.ShellBasedUnixGroupsMapping.getUnixGroups(ShellBasedUnixGroupsMapping.java:68)
    at org.apache.hadoop.security.ShellBasedUnixGroupsMapping.getGroups(ShellBasedUnixGroupsMapping.java:45)
    at org.apache.hadoop.security.Groups.getGroups(Groups.java:79)
    at org.apache.hadoop.security.UserGroupInformation.getGroupNames(UserGroupInformation.java:1083)
    at org.apache.hadoop.hdfs.server.namenode.FSPermissionChecker.(FSPermissionChecker.java:58)
    at org.apache.hadoop.hdfs.server.namenode.FSNamesystem.getPermissionChecker(FSNamesystem.java:5463)
    at org.apache.hadoop.hdfs.server.namenode.FSNamesystem.getFileInfo(FSNamesystem.java:2188)
    at org.apache.hadoop.hdfs.server.namenode.NameNode.getFileInfo(NameNode.java:909)
    at sun.reflect.GeneratedMethodAccessor49.invoke(Unknown Source)
    at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.java:25)
    at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Method.java:597)
    at org.apache.hadoop.ipc.RPC$Server.call(RPC.java:578)
    at org.apache.hadoop.ipc.Server$Handler$1.run(Server.java:1405)
    at org.apache.hadoop.ipc.Server$Handler$1.run(Server.java:1401)
    at java.security.AccessController.doPrivileged(Native Method)
    at javax.security.auth.Subject.doAs(Subject.java:396)
    at org.apache.hadoop.security.UserGroupInformation.doAs(UserGroupInformation.java:1178)
    at org.apache.hadoop.ipc.Server$Handler.run(Server.java:1399)
    2013-05-27 00:00:00,912 WARN org.apache.hadoop.security.UserGroupInformation: No groups available for user hbase

I know the error is really explicit and looks easy to fix, but as my cluster has been deployed with Ambari, it looks like a deployment bug.

Any idea ?

Best regards,

François

to create new topics or reply. | New User Registration

• Author
    Replies
    Larry Liu

Hi, Francois

The warning seems complaining user hbase.

2013-05-27 00:00:00,912 WARN org.apache.hadoop.security.UserGroupInformation: No groups available for user hbase

Can you check user hbase on your box? THe username should exist in group hadoop.

Larry

Francois BORIE
    Participant

Hi Larry,

Thanks for your answer.

Indeed, the user hbase has not been created in the /etc/passwd file on my namenode box, because no
    hmaster / hregionserver is deployed on this specific box (7 nodes cluster)

But the user hbase is deployed on all other boxes where either hmaster or hregionserver is deployed (thanks to Puppet :)

[root@namenode_box ~]# cat /etc/passwd | grep -i hbase
    [root@namenode_box ~]# cat /etc/group | grep -i hadoop
    hadoop:x:5668:mapred,hdfs
    [hdfs@namenode_box ~]#
    -bash-4.1$ hadoop fs -lsr /
    drwxr-xr-x – hdfs hdfs 0 2013-05-23 14:54 /apps
    drwxr-xr-x – hdfs hdfs 0 2013-05-23 15:54 /apps/hbase
    drwx—— – hbase hdfs 0 2013-05-23 17:29 /apps/hbase/data

I think the problem is present when you deploy your namenode independently from hbase services.

What is your advice on that point ?

Regards,

François

tedr

Hi Francois,

This does look like a deployment bug, and should be easy for us to fix in an upcoming release. I’ll make sure that it gets logged.

Thanks,
    Ted.

You must be to reply to this topic. | Create Account

Support from the Experts

A HDP Support Subscription connects you experts with deep experience running Apache Hadoop in production, at-scale on the most demanding workloads.

Enterprise Support »

Become HDP Certified

Real world training designed by the core architects of Hadoop. Scenario-based training courses are available in-classroom or online from anywhere in the world

Training »

Hortonworks Data Platform
The Hortonworks Data Platform is a 100% open source distribution of Apache Hadoop that is truly enterprise grade having been built, tested and hardened with enterprise rigor.
Get started with Sandbox
Hortonworks Sandbox is a self-contained virtual machine with Apache Hadoop pre-configured alongside a set of hands-on, step-by-step Hadoop tutorials.
Modern Data Architecture
Tackle the challenges of big data. Hadoop integrates with existing EDW, RDBMS and MPP systems to deliver lower cost, higher capacity infrastructure.