HDP on Linux – Installation Forum

HDInsight 'GettingStarted' jobs failing

Gavin Joyce

Hi. I’ve just installed HDInsight and all of the jobs I submit are failing. Firstly all the services have started ok, I’m trying out the ‘getting started’ jobs that act on the w3c weblogs.

When I submit any of the example – MR, Hive or Pig. I get errors like this, saying that the Setup and Cleanup steps have failed.

Submit Host Address:
    Job-ACLs: All users are allowed
    Job Setup: Failed
    Failure Info:JobCleanup Task Failure, Task: task_201210311653_0004_m_000002
    Started at: Wed Oct 31 17:28:34 GMT 2012
    Failed at: Wed Oct 31 17:28:51 GMT 2012
    Failed in: 17sec
    Job Cleanup: Failed

When I look into these steps, I’m getting a HTTP error:

HTTP ERROR 410

Problem accessing /tasklog. Reason:

Failed to retrieve stdout log for task: attempt_201210311653_0004_m_000003_0

Can someone please advice what I’m doing wrong. This is a fresh install today. I guess there’s a permission error somewhere but dont know how to progress.

Thanks for helping

to create new topics or reply. | New User Registration

• Author

Hi Gavin,
    Can you provide the following information
    -number of nodes in the cluster
    -hard drive space
    -max heap size set for JobTracker

Gavin Joyce

Hi Robert.
    It’s my workstation.
    Nodes in cluster – 1 (server version of HDInsight)
    HD Space – 320GB freee
    max heap size set for JobTracker – where do I find this please?

from dfshealth
    118 files and directories, 70 blocks = 188 total. Heap Size is 122.12 MB / 3.56 GB (3%)
    Configured Capacity : 465.46 GB
    DFS Used : 2.49 GB
    Non DFS Used : 136.7 GB
    DFS Remaining : 326.26 GB
    DFS Used% : 0.54 %
    DFS Remaining% : 70.1 %
    Live Nodes : 1
    Dead Nodes : 0
    Decommissioning Nodes : 0
    Number of Under-Replicated Blocks : 9

Hi Gavin,
    Researching the error with some quick searches seems to indicate that it can’t find a file path. Since this is the HDInsight version, it would probably be best to post it HDinsight forums http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/pl-PL/hdinsight/threads

There should be more information in the task tracker logs that might give more detailed hints as to what’s causing the error.

Gavin Joyce

thanks Robert. I’ll post on the msdn forum

You must be to reply to this topic. | Create Account

Support from the Experts

A HDP Support Subscription connects you experts with deep experience running Apache Hadoop in production, at-scale on the most demanding workloads.

Enterprise Support »

Become HDP Certified

Real world training designed by the core architects of Hadoop. Scenario-based training courses are available in-classroom or online from anywhere in the world

Training »

Hortonworks Data Platform
The Hortonworks Data Platform is a 100% open source distribution of Apache Hadoop that is truly enterprise grade having been built, tested and hardened with enterprise rigor.
Get started with Sandbox
Hortonworks Sandbox is a self-contained virtual machine with Apache Hadoop pre-configured alongside a set of hands-on, step-by-step Hadoop tutorials.
Modern Data Architecture
Tackle the challenges of big data. Hadoop integrates with existing EDW, RDBMS and MPP systems to deliver lower cost, higher capacity infrastructure.