HDP on Linux – Installation Forum

HDP 1.3 – secure datanode/unsecure cluster

Chris Bennight

I’m attempting a HDP 1.3 install on a small centOS 6.4 cluster. I’ve taking the manual repo path and am stuck starting up datanodes. My namenode is up, but when I attempt to start a datanode it fails, and in the log directory there’s a jsvc.err file with the following text:

Initializing secure datanode resources
    at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method)
    at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(NativeMethodAccessorImpl.java:57)
    at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.java:43)
    at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Method.java:601)
    at org.apache.commons.daemon.support.DaemonLoader.load(DaemonLoader.java:156)
    Caused by: java.lang.RuntimeException: Cannot start secure datanode in unsecure cluster
    at org.apache.hadoop.hdfs.server.datanode.SecureDataNodeStarter.init(SecureDataNodeStarter.java:64)
    ... 5 more
    16/06/2013 12:17:04 18886 jsvc.exec error: Cannot load daemon
    16/06/2013 12:17:04 18849 jsvc.exec error: Service exit with a return value of 3

I can see from the code:
    that it appears to be doing kerebos authentication – which I don’t have a server setup for – but as far as I can tell this should be disabled.

in core-site.xml I have

Set the authentication for the cluster. Valid values are: simple or kerberos.

Which appears to be what sets the HADOOP_SECURITY_AUTHENTICATION value. So I’m not sure why it’s still trying to start in secure mode.

to create new topics or reply. | New User Registration

• Author

Hi Chris,

Is this setting in core-site.xml on all nodes in your cluster?

Chris Bennight

Yep – same on all nodes (just confirmed)

Hi Chris,

Can you try setting the property hadoop.security.authorization to false in core-site.xml and see if that helps.

Ron DeLara

In the file hadoop-env.sh, comment out the following line
    #export HADOOP_SECURE_DN_USER=hdfs

You must be to reply to this topic. | Create Account

Support from the Experts

A HDP Support Subscription connects you experts with deep experience running Apache Hadoop in production, at-scale on the most demanding workloads.

Enterprise Support »

Become HDP Certified

Real world training designed by the core architects of Hadoop. Scenario-based training courses are available in-classroom or online from anywhere in the world

Training »

Hortonworks Data Platform
The Hortonworks Data Platform is a 100% open source distribution of Apache Hadoop that is truly enterprise grade having been built, tested and hardened with enterprise rigor.
Get started with Sandbox
Hortonworks Sandbox is a self-contained virtual machine with Apache Hadoop pre-configured alongside a set of hands-on, step-by-step Hadoop tutorials.
Modern Data Architecture
Tackle the challenges of big data. Hadoop integrates with existing EDW, RDBMS and MPP systems to deliver lower cost, higher capacity infrastructure.