Home Forums HDP on Windows – Installation HDP 1.3 Windows and Excel PowerPivot

This topic contains 6 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Ted Malone 10 months, 3 weeks ago.

• Creator
    Topic

Ted Malone
    Participant

Has anyone here connected Excel 2013 PowerPivot to a Hive table in HDP 1.3 for Windows? Every time I try Excel throws a GPF and restarts.. (This happens on every instance of Excel I’ve tried)

I’m using the 64-bit ODBC driver against hiveserver2. It took quite a bit of monkeying around to even get the driver to connect, so I’m wondering what I’ve done incorrectly.

Thanks.

Viewing 6 replies - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

• Author
    Replies

Ted Malone
    Participant

Hi, my steps were:

1) Install and configure HDP 1.3 on a multi-node (in my case the cluster is 8 nodes total) cluster
    2) Configure hiveserver2 to use thrift per the post on the forums here. (I also changed the port to 10002)
    3) Create a simple hive external table using a small text data set
    4) Install and configure a client workstation with Office Pro 2013 (Enable PowerPivot in Excel)
    5) Download and install the HDP ODBC driver
    6) Configure a System DSN that points to hiveserver2 on port 10002
    7) Attempt to connect from PowerPivot to the ODBC connection. You can connect and list tables, but as soon as you attempt to pull data from the table Excel will “unexpectedly” crash and restart
    8) Note that attempting to connect from anything else, such as Revolution Analytics (using RODBC) or even Excel 2010 works just fine… Also note that Excel 2013 fails from ANY workstation you attempt to connect to, including a workstation where Excel 2013 works to connect to the HDInsight Service on Azure…..

Collapse

Seth Lyubich
    Keymaster

Hi Ted,

Can you please let us know the steps you took so that I can try to reproduce the issue?

Thanks,
    Seth

Collapse

Ted Malone
    Participant

Thanks for the reply Seth. I do have everything configured per the post, and the driver does work in Excel 2010 as well as with Revolution R studio (via the RODBC library), but it will NOT work in Excel 2013. Any attempt to query data in Excel 2013 results in Excel crashing, and this is true from multiple machines. Not sure what the issue is.

Collapse

Seth Lyubich
    Keymaster

Hi Ted,

Can you please check to make sure that you configured correct Hive driver version in ODBC settings? Also, can you please check Event log for any errors?

Thanks,
    Seth

Collapse

Ted Malone
    Participant

Hi Seth,

Thank you for the response. I have the hiverserver2 instance configured to use thrift and was able to get the driver to connect. It actually works fine with Excel 2010, but even a simple query in Excel 2013 causes Excel to restart.

Collapse

Seth Lyubich
    Keymaster

Hi Ted,

Can you please see following post and let me know if this is useful?

http://hortonworks.com/community/forums/topic/how-to-configure-hive-server-2-for-odbc-connection-in-hdp-1-3-on-windows/

Thanks,
    Seth

Collapse
Viewing 6 replies - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)