The Hortonworks Community Connection is now live. A completely rebuilt Q&A forum, Knowledge Base, Code Hub and more, backed by the experts in the industry.

You will be redirected here in 10 seconds. If your are not redirected, click here to visit the new site.

The legacy Hortonworks Forum is now closed. You can view a read-only version of the former site by clicking here. The site will be taken offline on January 31,2016

HDP on Linux – Installation Forum

HDP 2.0 MySQL install fail

Robert Volker
    Participant

Cluster node with Hive Metastore : ‘fqn-3rd node’ Database : MySQL (New Database)

stdout
    ————
    chown: invalid user: `mysql:mysql’
    Initializing MySQL database: chown: invalid user: `mysql’
    chown: invalid user: `mysql’
    Installing MySQL system tables…
    131031 12:13:56 [ERROR] Fatal error: Can’t change to run as user ‘mysql’ ; Please check that the user exists!
    ————–
    yep, on my node ‘fqn-3rd node’ there isn’t a mysql user!

all of the other nodes correctly have

mysql:x:27:27:MySQL Server:/var/lib/mysql:/bin/bash

** Should I manually install MySql on ‘fqn-3rd node’? Or try to have Ambari reinstall?

Thanks,
    Robert

• Author
    Replies
    Dave

Hi Robert,

If you create the user & install MySQL manually, does the ambari install successfully complete?
    Are you running oozie and MySQL on 2 different Nodes? What is the cluster architecture like?

Thanks

Dave

Robert Volker
    Participant

Dave,
    Thanks for you help. I cleaned up the node and manually installed MySQL. Reset ambari and restarted ambari.
    – I follwed the instructions in ‘Chapter IV.18. Appendix: Using Non-Default Databases’. MySQL was good.

Failed install again. In a very similar fashion, here’s the log file:
    Initializing MySQL database: chown: invalid user: `mysql’
    Installing MySQL system tables…
    131031 12:13:56 [ERROR] Fatal error: Can’t change to run as user ‘mysql’ ; Please check that the user exists!
    ———————
    Note: after this failure I can’t use mysql:

[root@hadoop03 mysql]# mysql -u root -p
    Enter password:
    ERROR 2002 (HY000): Can’t connect to local MySQL server through socket ‘/var/lib/mysql/mysql.sock’ (2)

————————-
    4 node cluster architecture:
    NameNode : hadoop02.xxxxx.com
    SecondaryNameNode : hadoop03.xxxxx.com
    DataNodes : 3 hosts
    YARN + MapReduce2
    NodeManager : 3 hosts
    ResourceManager : hadoop03.xxxxx.com
    History Server : hadoop03.xxxxx.com
    Nagios
    Server : hadoop02.xxxxx.com
    Administrator : nagios
    Ganglia
    Server : hadoop02.xxxxx.com
    Hive + HCatalog
    Hive Metastore : hadoop03.xxxxx.com
    Database : MySQL (New Database)
    HBase
    Master : hadoop02.xxxxx.com
    RegionServers : 3 hosts
    Oozie
    Server : hadoop03.xxxxx.com
    Database : Derby (New Derby Database)
    ZooKeeper
    Servers : 3 hosts

Robert Volker
    Participant

I have a work around: moved the MySQL Hive Metastore off the hadoop clusters. The MySQL now reside on the “ambari” server node. My HDP 2.0 cluster in finally up and running!

– It because the MySQL is just a metastore, having it off the hive node shouldn’t be too much of a performance impact. Or am I mistaken with this naive assumption?

Robert

The forum ‘HDP on Linux – Installation’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Support from the Experts

A HDP Support Subscription connects you experts with deep experience running Apache Hadoop in production, at-scale on the most demanding workloads.

Enterprise Support »

Become HDP Certified

Real world training designed by the core architects of Hadoop. Scenario-based training courses are available in-classroom or online from anywhere in the world

Training »

Hortonworks Data Platform
The Hortonworks Data Platform is a 100% open source distribution of Apache Hadoop that is truly enterprise grade having been built, tested and hardened with enterprise rigor.
Get started with Sandbox
Hortonworks Sandbox is a self-contained virtual machine with Apache Hadoop pre-configured alongside a set of hands-on, step-by-step Hadoop tutorials.
Modern Data Architecture
Tackle the challenges of big data. Hadoop integrates with existing EDW, RDBMS and MPP systems to deliver lower cost, higher capacity infrastructure.