HDFS Forum

HDP secondarynode

Munjeong Kim

I don’t want secondary node as data node. But when I install cluster using HMC, every node except namenode is datanode. As I know, Secondary node is for back-up when name node have some problem.. Is it possible select which node is data node?

And, do I have to install ganglia & nagios server with hmc server?
    I installed namenode, job tracker, hmc server on same node(master).
    But there was puppet kick failed when I tried to install ganglia & nagios server on other node(not master). So I installed ganglia&nagios server on master, there was no problems.

to create new topics or reply. | New User Registration

• Author
    Sasha J

there is no way to put secondary name node on a separate node if you use HMC to install HDP.
    This will be just wasting of the resources, as secondary name node doing almost nothing, just grab editlog from the NameNode and merge it with FS image once in a while. All other times it sitting tight and doing nothing.
    As of ganglia and nagios, you can put it on any node in the cluster (you can select the node on the services selection page).
    Please, be more specific with puppet kick failure you mention. What is the error message? what logs saying about this? etc…

The topic ‘HDP secondarynode’ is closed to new replies.

Support from the Experts

A HDP Support Subscription connects you experts with deep experience running Apache Hadoop in production, at-scale on the most demanding workloads.

Enterprise Support »

Become HDP Certified

Real world training designed by the core architects of Hadoop. Scenario-based training courses are available in-classroom or online from anywhere in the world

Training »

Hortonworks Data Platform
The Hortonworks Data Platform is a 100% open source distribution of Apache Hadoop that is truly enterprise grade having been built, tested and hardened with enterprise rigor.
Get started with Sandbox
Hortonworks Sandbox is a self-contained virtual machine with Apache Hadoop pre-configured alongside a set of hands-on, step-by-step Hadoop tutorials.
Modern Data Architecture
Tackle the challenges of big data. Hadoop integrates with existing EDW, RDBMS and MPP systems to deliver lower cost, higher capacity infrastructure.