Home Forums HDP on Windows – Installation HDP Setup Failure Hadoop Password creation

This topic contains 6 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  Rob Schafer 2 months, 2 weeks ago.

• Creator
    Topic

John Tanner
    Participant

Installing Hadoop on Windows 8.1 in a VMWare workstation instance. In the HDP setup I have an error I cannot work past, ” Hadoop user password does not meet minimum system requirements defined in the system policies” . I have run secpol.msc to make sure Windows 8.1 password policy is very basic requiring only 4 characters and with no complexity or expiration etc. Still with very low requirements no password I use seems to satisfy the HDP install. I have set the policies higher and used complex passwords, but that made no difference either. I just downloaded all the code yesterday for this install, so I don’t believe anything is old.

It must be simple, but I just cannot see what I have missed.

Viewing 6 replies - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

• Author
    Replies

Rob Schafer
    Participant

I have intermittently experienced this issue as well. I was able to resolve the issue by running the .MSI as the Administrator account set-up on the machine. I only experienced the issue when double clicking the installer and not running as the Admin account. My environment is Windows Server 2012 on VMWare Workstation.

Collapse

Kim Verkooij
    Participant

Is there already a solution for this issue?, i am having the same problem: Using windows server 2012 and i am able to create a user with the password which is not accepted by the hdp installer.

Thank you in advance

Collapse

Mike Swenson
    Participant

I can create a user named “Hadoop” then give it a password. I had all complexity and other password requirements off. I am installing from an administrator account (but not THE Administrator). Very frustrating. I tried with no pre-exisitng Haddop user and with one, same answer. But I did figure it out finally. Part of the problem was a “RTFM” issue, other part is incorrect error message.
    RTFM part . Open a command prompt as Administrator: runas /user:administrator “cmd /C msiexec /lv c:\hdplog.txt /i $PATH_to_MSI_file”
    I ran the msi like any other windows install by double clicking it. I would suggest the install detect not having proper parameters (like the install log) and display an appropriate install error message.

Incorrect error message is very misleading, as it has nothing to do with password complexity

Thanks for your time
    Mike

Collapse

Ivan Malamen
    Participant

Hi!

Please ensure password you are providing is valid, e.g. try to create user with this password manually. If user is created with provided password, but installation still fails, let us know by writing here
    Also, what OS do you use?

Collapse

Mike Swenson
    Participant

Same problem, using a supported OS too

Collapse

Ivan Malamen
    Participant

Only the following operating systems are supported:

Windows Server 2008 R2 (64-bit)
    Windows Server 2012 (64-bit)

Collapse
Viewing 6 replies - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)