Home Forums Ambari HDP using Puppet

This topic contains 11 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  Ray Roberts 7 months, 4 weeks ago.

• Creator
    Topic

Ray Roberts
    Participant

I’m currently administering a HDP cluster and some of our users are claiming they need to use JDK 7 (not open JDK). I know this isn’t supported yet, however I’m not sure I have much of a choice, as they’re pretty demanding :)

I’m noticing that HDP is putting open jdk in /usr/jdk/jdk1.6.0 even after I’ve wiped that directory. I have seen some references to puppet in Ambari directories. Is Ambari using puppet?

If so, how can I modify which version is pushed?

-Ray

Viewing 11 replies - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

• Author
    Replies

Ray Roberts
    Participant

Jeff, Carlos,

I was able to install the latest (1.4.2) using JDK 7 with no issues.

The other thing I did was modify /etc/ambari-server/conf/ambari.properties

I commented the section pertaining to java. I can’t recall the exact section since I’m not around the server at the moment, however it was pretty obvious. I remember this causing me problems if I didn’t do it, Ambari would try to install JDK 1.6 if I didn’t modify the properties file.

Collapse

Jeff Sposetti

Hi Carlos + Ray, Can you confirm which ambari version you tried this on? ambari-server –version

Latest release is Ambari 1.4.2 supports JDK 7, with you installing the JDK before running setup and using the -j option. Ambari Server should not still download JDK 1.6 during setup if you specify -j during “ambari-server setup -j /the/jdk/path”

http://docs.hortonworks.com/HDPDocuments/HDP2/HDP-2.0.8.0/bk_using_Ambari_book/content/ambari-chap2-1.html

http://docs.hortonworks.com/HDPDocuments/HDP2/HDP-2.0.8.0/bk_using_Ambari_book/content/ambari-chap2-2-1.html

Collapse

Carlos Diaz
    Participant

Hi Ray,

I’m experiencing the exact same issue. The developers want to use JDK 1.7 yet Ambari uses jdk1.6.0_31 by default.

Were you able to figure out how to swap the jdk sucessfully? I tried going through the ambari-server setup -j <path to my jdk> as described here, but things are still starting up with JDK 1.6.0_31.

-Carlos

Collapse

Ray Roberts
    Participant

Robert,

Thanks for the reply.

I tried both paths, including /usr/java/default

It behaves the same way, no matter the location.

-Ray

Collapse

Robert
    Participant

Hi Ray,
    Based on Abdelrahman’s post, it could be that ambari needs it to be in /usr/java/default

Regards,
    Robert

Collapse

Ray Roberts
    Participant

Abdelrhaman,

I tried using ‘ambari-server setup –j /my/jdk/home’ , however, it still downloads jdk-6u21 and asks for me to accept the oracle license. Shouldn’t it see my java installed and not ask this?

Thanks,

-Ray

Collapse

abdelrahman

Hi Ray,

That is correct. But before you run this command. Are you trying to setup a new cluster? If not please backup the psql database just in-case. I have run the command and it works fine.

ambari-server setup –j /usr/java/default
    Using python /usr/bin/python2.6
    Run postgresql initdb
    Run postgresql start
    Starting postgresql service: [ OK ]
    Setup ambari-server
    Checking SELinux…
    SELinux status is ‘enabled’
    SELinux mode is ‘permissive’
    WARNING: SELinux is set to ‘permissive’ mode and temporarily disabled. You should disable SELinux permanently.
    OK to continue [y/n] (y)? y
    Checking iptables…
    iptables is disabled now
    Checking PostgreSQL…
    Configuring database…
    Configuring PostgreSQL…
    Backup for pg_hba found, reconfiguration not required
    Checking JDK…
    Completing setup…
    Ambari Server ‘setup’ finished successfully

Thanks
    -Abdelrhaman

Collapse

Ray Roberts
    Participant

Sef,

Thanks for your response.

So, does this mean I cannot change it now that HDP is installed?

Can I run ambari-server setup after installation? For example: ambari-server setup –j /usr/java/default

Thanks,

-Ray

Collapse

Seth Lyubich
    Keymaster

Hi Ray,

You should be able to specify custom Java location during installation. Please see:

http://docs.hortonworks.com/HDPDocuments/HDP1/HDP-1.2.3.1/bk_using_Ambari_book/content/ambari-chap2-2-1.html

However, JDK 7 was not tested yet and we would not be able to support this configuration.

Also, puppet that Ambari is using is part of ambari-agent and should not interfere with your puppet.

Hope this helps,

Thanks,
    Seth

Collapse

Ray Roberts
    Participant

Abdelrahman,

Thanks,

So, it sound like Ambari IS using puppet…… We use puppet throughout our enterprise and didn’t notice puppet was installed on the data nodes, as I had to install the puppet agent to tie these nodes into our enterprise puppet master. Is the ambari-agent pushing these configs then? How is ambari leveraging puppet?

What exactly will fail?

-Ray

Collapse

abdelrahman

Hi Ray,

How is your day so far? It is not recommended to use the JDK 7. It will fail. But you may want to take a look at the following files:
    Under:
    /var/lib/ambari-agent
    files :

puppet/modules/hdp/manifests/java/package.pp:
    puppet/modules/hdp/manifests/params.pp:
    puppet/modules/hdp-zookeeper/files/zkServer.sh:

Thanks
    -Abdelrahman

Collapse
Viewing 11 replies - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)