The Hortonworks Community Connection is now live. A completely rebuilt Q&A forum, Knowledge Base, Code Hub and more, backed by the experts in the industry.

You will be redirected here in 10 seconds. If your are not redirected, click here to visit the new site.

The legacy Hortonworks Forum is now closed. You can view a read-only version of the former site by clicking here. The site will be taken offline on January 31,2016

HDP on Windows – Installation Forum

Hdp20 install fails with no logs

Dean nicholson
    Participant

using the msi to install a single node cluster on Win2012. I have installed all prereq, set powershell settings, opened up all ports, installed jave 7 update 25. I am trying to use SQL server on another server(VM).
    I am installing this on a VM on my laptop. Vm has 2 procs and 2 GB RAM, 2 disks C: and D:. I am trying to install HDP20 on D:
    It creates the folder C:\HadoopInstallFiles but I can find no other changes to the file system. There are no log files created nor events in the event logs.

Thanks.

• Author
    Replies
    Seth Lyubich

Hi Dean,

Can you please launch the installer by issuing the msiexec command and specifying the log file location. See example below:
    msiexec /lv c:\hdplog.txt /i “msilocation”

This should generate the log, and you should be able to see what went wrong.

Hope this helps,

Thanks,
    Seth

Dean nicholson
    Participant

I got past the initial error by setting JAVA_HOME.

Eventually it shows it can not execute this file and starts a rollback. ‘C:\Java\jre7\bin\jar.exe’
    I checked the directory and I can not see the jar.exe.
    Did I install the wrong Java?
    jdk-7u25-windows-x64.exe

Error log details follow.

[SC] ChangeServiceConfig SUCCESS
    OOZIE: sc sdshow oozieservice

D:(A;;CCLCSWRPWPDTLOCRRC;;;SY)(A;;CCDCLCSWRPWPDTLOCRSDRCWDWO;;;BA)(A;;CCLCSWLOCRRC;;;IU)(A;;CCLCSWLOCRRC;;;SU)S:(AU;FA;CCDCLCSWRPWPDTLOCRSDRCWDWO;;;WD)
    OOZIE: Current SD: D:(A;;CCLCSWRPWPDTLOCRRC;;;SY)(A;;CCDCLCSWRPWPDTLOCRSDRCWDWO;;;BA)(A;;CCLCSWLOCRRC;;;IU)(A;;CCLCSWLOCRRC;;;SU)S:(AU;FA;CCDCLCSWRPWPDTLOCRSDRCWDWO;;;WD)
    OOZIE: Modifying SD to: D:(A;;CCLCSWRPWPDTLOCRRC;;;SY)(A;;CCDCLCSWRPWPDTLOCRSDRCWDWO;;;BA)(A;;CCLCSWLOCRRC;;;IU)(A;;CCLCSWLOCRRC;;;SU)(A;;RPWPCR;;;AU)S:(AU;FA;CCDCLCSWRPWPDTLOCRSDRCWDWO;;;WD)
    OOZIE: sc sdset oozieservice D:(A;;CCLCSWRPWPDTLOCRRC;;;SY)(A;;CCDCLCSWRPWPDTLOCRSDRCWDWO;;;BA)(A;;CCLCSWLOCRRC;;;IU)(A;;CCLCSWLOCRRC;;;SU)(A;;RPWPCR;;;AU)S:(AU;FA;CCDCLCSWRPWPDTLOCRSDRCWDWO;;;WD)
    [SC] SetServiceObjectSecurity SUCCESS
    OOZIE: Configuring service config d:\hdp\oozie-4.0.0.2.0.6.0-0009\Service\oozieservice.xml
    OOZIE: Updating file d:\hdp\oozie-4.0.0.2.0.6.0-0009\Service\oozieservice.xml to point to executable d:\hdp\oozie-4.0.0.2.0.6.0-0009\oozie-win-distro\bin\oozied.cmd
    OOZIE: Copy Oozie additional Jars
    OOZIE: Calling Setup script to add Hadoop libs to the generated oozie.war file
    OOZIE FAILURE: Unable to execute ‘jar xvf’. Error (1)
    At D:\hdp\oozie-4.0.0.2.0.6.0-0009\oozie-win-distro\bin\oozie-setup.ps1:129 char:9
    + throw “Unable to execute ‘jar xvf’. Error ($LASTEXITCODE)”
    +
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    WINPKG FAILURE: OOZIE: Logging to existing log C:
    ….
    deleted log lines to save space
    ….
    SetServiceObjectSecurity SUCCESS [SC] SetServiceObjectSecurity SUCCESS OOZIE: Configuring service config d:\hdp\oozie-4.0.0.2.0.6.0-0009\Service\oozieservice.xml OOZIE: Updating file d:\hdp\oozie-4.0.0.2.0.6.0-0009\Service\oozieservice.xml to point to executable d:\hdp\oozie-4.0.0.2.0.6.0-0009\oozie-win-distro\bin\oozied.cmd OOZIE: Copy Oozie additional Jars OOZIE: Calling Setup script to add Hadoop libs to the generated oozie.war file Creating OOZIE_TEMP directory ‘D:\hdp\oozie-4.0.0.2.0.6.0-0009\oozie-win-distro\temp’ ‘C:\Java\jre7\bin\jar.exe’ is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file.
    Write-Log : OOZIE FAILURE: Unable to execute ‘jar xvf’. Error (1)

At C:\HadoopInstallFiles\HadoopPackages\hdp-2.0.6.0-winpkg\resources\oozie-4.0.
    0.2.0.6.0-0009.winpkg\scripts\install.ps1:131 char:2
    + Write-Log $_.Exception.Message “Failure” $_

Seth Lyubich

Hi Dean,

Can you verify that you JAVA_HOME is pointing to JDK folder. For example:

C:\Java\jdk1.7.0_51>set|findstr JAVA
    JAVA_HOME=C:\Java\jdk1.7.0_51

Hope this helps.

Thanks,
    Seth

Dean nicholson
    Participant

Yes that was it. Did not realize jre and jdk installed separately.Clicked next too fast. Changed the jdk to C:\java, fixed JAVA_HOME and installation completed.

Seth Lyubich

Hi Dean,

Thanks for letting us know that issue is resolved.

Thanks,
    Seth

Alex Meincheim
    Participant

Hi,

I’m having the same problem.

Anyone found a solution?

Best Regards

The forum ‘HDP on Windows – Installation’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Support from the Experts

A HDP Support Subscription connects you experts with deep experience running Apache Hadoop in production, at-scale on the most demanding workloads.

Enterprise Support »

Become HDP Certified

Real world training designed by the core architects of Hadoop. Scenario-based training courses are available in-classroom or online from anywhere in the world

Training »

Hortonworks Data Platform
The Hortonworks Data Platform is a 100% open source distribution of Apache Hadoop that is truly enterprise grade having been built, tested and hardened with enterprise rigor.
Get started with Sandbox
Hortonworks Sandbox is a self-contained virtual machine with Apache Hadoop pre-configured alongside a set of hands-on, step-by-step Hadoop tutorials.
Modern Data Architecture
Tackle the challenges of big data. Hadoop integrates with existing EDW, RDBMS and MPP systems to deliver lower cost, higher capacity infrastructure.