Home Forums HDP on Linux – Installation historyserver failed to start

This topic contains 6 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Lee Rosen 10 months ago.

• Creator
    Topic

Maoz Zadok

I followed the manual installation of HDP on this url:

http://docs.hortonworks.com/HDPDocuments/HDP2/HDP-2.0.8.0/bk_installing_manually_book/content/rpm-chap1.html

Trying to start the historyserver throw exaction and the servers refuse to start.
    following this page:

http://docs.hortonworks.com/HDPDocuments/HDP2/HDP-2.0.8.0/bk_installing_manually_book/content/rpm-chap4-4.html

I’m trying to test the HDP on single node, centos6

the exaction:

STARTUP_MSG: build = git@github.com:hortonworks/hadoop.git -r 8656b1cfad13b03b29e98cad042626205e7a1c86; compiled by ‘jenkins’ on 2013-10-18T00:19Z
    STARTUP_MSG: java = 1.6.0_23
    ************************************************************/
    13/12/31 11:21:10 INFO hs.JobHistoryServer: registered UNIX signal handlers for [TERM, HUP, INT]
    13/12/31 11:21:12 INFO hs.JobHistory: JobHistory Init
    13/12/31 11:21:12 ERROR security.UserGroupInformation: PriviledgedActionException as:mapred (auth:SIMPLE) cause:org.apache.hadoop.fs.UnsupportedFileSystemException: No AbstractFileSystem for scheme: hdptest.themarker.com
    13/12/31 11:21:12 INFO service.AbstractService: Service org.apache.hadoop.mapreduce.v2.hs.HistoryFileManager failed in state INITED; cause: org.apache.hadoop.yarn.exceptions.YarnRuntimeException: Error creating done directory: [null]
    at org.apache.hadoop.mapreduce.v2.hs.HistoryFileManager.serviceInit(HistoryFileManager.java:503)

Viewing 6 replies - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

• Author
    Replies

Lee Rosen
    Participant

Found my issue — I had created my core-site.xml from an eariler version of the helper firles where the fs.defaultFS value was only “TODO-NAMENODE-HOSTNAME” instead of “hdfs://TODO-NAMENODE-HOSTNAME:PORT” — prepending the “hdfs://” and adding “:8020″ as the port at the end allowed the job history server to start.

I also note that using the “hadoop fs …” commands in creating the done and intermediate done directories gives me a deprecation warning, but the “hdfs dfs …” form does not. Looks like that section of the docs could use a little love to bring in line with what seems to be current practice.

Collapse

Lee Rosen
    Participant

I am having the exact same issue in getting a test cluster going after following ALL the instructions to the point of starting the job history server. Also tried setting the group to hadoop rather than hdfs, since that is what the upgrade instructions say to do (http://docs.hortonworks.com/HDPDocuments/HDP2/HDP-2.0.9.0/bk_installing_manually_book/content/upgrade-4-3.html).

Seems like some configuration is not set for the file system uri to come in correctly since the error messages in the log show the filesystem scheme as null as well as the done directory showing as null:

14/01/22 11:14:18 INFO hs.JobHistory: JobHistory Init
    14/01/22 11:14:18 ERROR security.UserGroupInformation: PriviledgedActionException as:mapred (auth:SIMPLE) cause:org.apache.hadoop.fs.UnsupportedFileSystemException: No AbstractFileSystem for scheme: null
    14/01/22 11:14:18 INFO service.AbstractService: Service org.apache.hadoop.mapreduce.v2.hs.HistoryFileManager failed in state INITED; cause: org.apache.hadoop.yarn.exceptions.YarnRuntimeException: Error creating done directory: [null]
    org.apache.hadoop.yarn.exceptions.YarnRuntimeException: Error creating done directory: [null]
            at org.apache.hadoop.mapreduce.v2.hs.HistoryFileManager.serviceInit(HistoryFileManager.java:503)
    Collapse

Dave

Hi Maoz,

Just to check, you are starting the history server as the mapred user?

Thanks

Dave

Collapse

Maoz Zadok

I’m wondering way is it complaining about “Error creating done directory”
    I’v already created the done directory as explained, can it be the failure reason?
    can I add some debugging info?

Collapse

Maoz Zadok

sure I did, please check the following output:

[root@hdptest ~]# su $HDFS_USER
    bash-4.1$ source /etc/bashrc
    [hdfs@hdptest root]$
    [hdfs@hdptest root]$ hadoop fs -ls /
    14/01/05 10:46:39 WARN fs.FileSystem: “hdptest.themarker.com:8020″ is a deprecated filesystem name. Use “hdfs://hdptest.themarker.com:8020/” instead.
    Found 3 items
    drwxrwxrwt – yarn hdfs 0 2013-12-31 11:19 /app-logs
    drwxr-xr-x – mapred hdfs 0 2013-12-31 11:19 /mr-history
    drwxr-xr-x – hdfs hdfs 0 2013-12-31 11:12 /user
    [hdfs@hdptest root]$ hadoop fs -ls /mr-history/
    14/01/05 10:46:46 WARN fs.FileSystem: “hdptest.themarker.com:8020″ is a deprecated filesystem name. Use “hdfs://hdptest.themarker.com:8020/” instead.
    Found 2 items
    drwxrwxrwt – mapred hdfs 0 2013-12-31 11:19 /mr-history/done
    drwxrwxrwt – mapred hdfs 0 2013-12-31 11:18 /mr-history/tmp
    [hdfs@hdptest root]$ grep mr-history /etc/hadoop/conf/mapred-
    mapred-queue-acls.xml mapred-site.xml
    [hdfs@hdptest root]$ grep mr-history /etc/hadoop/conf/mapred-site.xml
    <value>/mr-history/tmp</value>
    <value>/mr-history/done</value>

Collapse

Dave

Hi Maoz,

Did you create the directories as requested with the correct permissions?

su $HDFS_USER
    hadoop fs -mkdir -p /mr-history/tmp
    hadoop fs -chmod -R 1777 /mr-history/tmp
    hadoop fs -mkdir -p /mr-history/done
    hadoop fs -chmod -R 1777 /mr-history/done
    hadoop fs -chown -R $MAPRED_USER:$HDFS_USER /mr-history

Thanks

Dave

Collapse
Viewing 6 replies - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)