Hive / HCatalog Forum

HIVE catalog issue with ODBC

I have successfully installed odbc driver on my w7 32bit machine.
    I can browse through schema (table names, column description), but when it comes to sql query (for example from Microsoft Query), I got errors.
    Driver automatically adds catalog name and it is not accepted by hive/hive server. UserGuide ( sais that it is normal..

my query:
    select * from foo

driver query (captured with wireshark)
    select from foo

error thrown by hive server/hive:
    error code: ‘40000’
    error message: ‘Error while processing statement: FAILED: ParseExeption line: 2:17 cannot recognize input near ‘.’ ‘foo’ ‘foo’ in table source

my conclusions:
    1) odbc knows the structure, reads it properly, changes * to column name.
    2) hive server and CLI don’t undersand HIVE prefix before schema name.
    3) same error occurs with manual query (select from foo) in CLI

any configuration changes on server side needed?
    help? :)

to create new topics or reply. | New User Registration

You must be to reply to this topic. | Create Account

Support from the Experts

A HDP Support Subscription connects you experts with deep experience running Apache Hadoop in production, at-scale on the most demanding workloads.

Enterprise Support »

Become HDP Certified

Real world training designed by the core architects of Hadoop. Scenario-based training courses are available in-classroom or online from anywhere in the world

Training »

Hortonworks Data Platform
The Hortonworks Data Platform is a 100% open source distribution of Apache Hadoop that is truly enterprise grade having been built, tested and hardened with enterprise rigor.
Get started with Sandbox
Hortonworks Sandbox is a self-contained virtual machine with Apache Hadoop pre-configured alongside a set of hands-on, step-by-step Hadoop tutorials.
Modern Data Architecture
Tackle the challenges of big data. Hadoop integrates with existing EDW, RDBMS and MPP systems to deliver lower cost, higher capacity infrastructure.