Home Forums Hortonworks Sandbox Hive Data Loss

Tagged: 

This topic contains 7 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Seth Lyubich 1 year, 3 months ago.

• Creator
    Topic

Sarang Patil

What we notice is that as soon as hadoop instance is shutdown we are losing all the data within hive external tables as well as form hdfs.

To give you an example…
    1. We created external hive table ext_stockdata on 4/1
    2. select from the ext_stockdata => Was successful and returned the result.
    3. Loged out of Hive and Shut down the instance
    4. Restarted the instance Loged back in Hive
    5. select from the ext_stockdata => Was successful but we lost all the data in the table

We replicated this test today morning. After rebooting got no Data back ? Is this intended behaviour of the sandbox?….

Viewing 7 replies - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

• Author
    Replies

Seth Lyubich
    Keymaster

Hi Sarang,

I think I know the source of confusion here. I think you are using Virtual Sandbox which is an older Sandbox product that was launched from EC2. New Hortonworks Sandbox can be found here:

http://hortonworks.com/products/hortonworks-sandbox/

All you need to do is to import appliance to your VM environment.

Hope this helps,

Thanks,
    Seth

Collapse

Sarang Patil

Ted;

You Puzzled me too…….Royaly….. Here is the AMI we are using….. AMI: Hortonworks-HDP-1.1.0.15-Single-Node (ami-754bfa1c). EBS is attached to the instance:

How do i verify where the hfd is created on the persistent disk which is called an “EBS volume.”

Collapse

tedr

Hi Sarang,

Are you sure that you are using the Hortonworks Sandbox? The Sandbox is a virtual appliance created to be imported into either VMware or Virtualbox, so it’s kind of puzzling as to how you installed it in the Amazon cloud.
    But with regard to whether or not the behavior you are seeing is normal for the Sandbox, it is not, but it is normal for an EC2 image. If you use the Sandbox inside VMware or Virtualbox as intended, you data will remain after a reboot.

Thanks
    Ted.

Collapse

Sarang Patil

Name you see on appliance ? Seth – I am not sure what you are looking for. We have this installed in Amazons EC2 Cloud.

Collapse

Seth Lyubich
    Keymaster

Hi Sarang,

Thanks for providing information. This information shows installed hadoop version. Can you please tell us the name you see on appliance itself?

Thanks,
    Seth

Collapse

Sarang Patil

[root@hortonworks-sandbox ~]# hadoop version
    Hadoop 1.0.3.15
    Subversion -r
    Compiled by jenkins on Thu Aug 30 14:53:12 PDT 2012
    From source with checksum 434d0419e24d8f7e049e1a02a387b5d3

Collapse

Seth Lyubich
    Keymaster

Hi Sarang,

Can you please let us know which Hortonworks Sandbox version you are using?

Thanks,
    Seth

Collapse
Viewing 7 replies - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)