Home Forums HDP on Linux – Installation Hive installation on one or more nodes

This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Rahul Dev 8 months, 2 weeks ago.

• Creator
    Topic

Rahul Dev

I installed Hive on HDP 1.3 on one node. I used the default Derby database for metastore. The Hadoop installation upon which it is based has 8 data nodes. Currently the hive client is installed on only one machine. So I have few questions
    1. When I run a command on hive, how do I know it is being executed on all the 8 nodes?
    2. Do I have to install hive client on all the nodes to be able to distribute the data to all the nodes? Reason I am asking is that the node where Hive is installed has about 600 Gb of space. If the data is distributed to all the 8 nodes I can load more directories.
    3. Sometimes while loading a hive table I am getting errors such as “could only be replicated to 0 nodes, instead of 1″ followed by a java stack trace. This happens at random files. This tells me that hive data is being replicated on only 1 node. Perhaps that node is running out of disk space?

Thanks.
    Rahul

Viewing 2 replies - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

• Author
    Replies

Rahul Dev

Carter,

Thanks for your reply. The item 3 is still happening. The cluster has lot of disk space. These files that I am loading are few Gb long while each machine on the cluster has over 1.5 TB available. Any idea what configuration param should I look at? This installation is done by non-operations people and it is our first installation on multiple clusters, so it is possible we didn’t set something properly.

Another question is about the error message. It says ;could only be replicated to 0 nodes, instead of 1′. If Hive spawns MR on all the nodes and if I am using HDFS, then should the hive table not be distributed on all the nodes rather than just one?

Thanks.

Collapse

Carter Shanklin
    Participant

Hive submits M/R jobs and in principle only needs to be installed on one node. Best way to see if it is running on all nodes is to watch number of mappers your job spawns or look in the job tracker to see where mappers are running.

Your error in point 3 is likely an HDFS configuration error, or could be a disk space issue as you suggested.

Collapse
Viewing 2 replies - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)