Home Forums Hive / HCatalog Hive ODBC error message

This topic contains 5 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Yi Zhang 10 months ago.

• Creator
    Topic

Swooshx Wu
    Participant

I got the following error message when I tried to export a table from SQL 2012 to Hive in the HDP sandbox.
    [ODBC Destination [2]] Error: Open Database Connectivity (ODBC) error occurred. SQLExecute returned error while inserting row 1
    [ODBC Destination [2]] Error: Open Database Connectivity (ODBC) error occurred. state: ‘HY000′. Native Error Code: 35. [Hortonworks][Hardy] (35) Error from Hive: error code: ’40000′ error message: ‘Error while processing statement: FAILED: ParseException line 1:12 mismatched input ‘”default”‘ expecting TABLE near ‘INTO’ in insert clause’.
    My environment is Windows 2008 R2 + HortonworksHiveODBC32.msi + MS SQL server 2012 with SSIS
    Does anyone know what’s going on?
    I can provide more details and just tell me how to collect more debug information. Thanks.

Viewing 5 replies - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

• Author
    Replies

Yi Zhang

Hi Swooshx,

It may be a limitation. How are you importing data into hive, the error message suggests you were using insert into xxx?

Thanks,
    Yi

Collapse

Swooshx Wu
    Participant

Hi, Yi,

Thanks for your advice.
    I knew and I had tried the Sqoop before, it worked.
    But I just want to do all data operation from MS SQL through the ODBC driver.
    It seemed, I could transfer data from Hive to MS SQL through ODBC driver but could not write data back to the Hive through ODBC driver.
    I am not sure is this a bug or the limitation in the Hive ODBC driver.

Cheers,
    Swooshx

Collapse

Yi Zhang

Hi Swoosh,

Hiveserver2 is the new generation to replace hiveserver2, with improved features. The driver is for sql queries. For data import from traditional database to hadoop (including hive), consider use Sqoop.

Thanks,
    Yi

Collapse

Swooshx Wu
    Participant

Hi, Yi,
    I used Microsoft SSIS to do the import.
    The source is “OLE DB” and the destination is “ODBC Destination”
    I configured “hiveserver2″ in the System DSN in the ODBC setup.
    May I know the difference between “hiverserver1″ and “hiverserver2″?
    Thanks for your help.

Collapse

Yi Zhang

Hi Swooshx,

Can you give detailed steps of how your are exporting data from mssql to hive? is the odbc driver set to use hiveserver2 or hiveserver1?

Thanks,
    Yi

Collapse
Viewing 5 replies - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)