Home Forums Hive / HCatalog hive web server not starting

This topic contains 3 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  tedr 1 year, 2 months ago.

• Creator
    Topic

Michael Peterson
    Participant

I have installed Hortonworks Hadoop via Ambari and have hive working on both a single VM in pseudo-distributed mode and on a 5-node cluster.

I would like to try out the Hive web interface. When I try to start it I get an error:

$ hive –service hwi
    13/06/21 09:14:23 INFO hwi.HWIServer: HWI is starting up
    13/06/21 09:14:29 WARN conf.HiveConf: DEPRECATED: Configuration property hive.metastore.local no longer has any effect. Make sure to provide a valid value for hive.metastore.uris if you are connecting to a remote metastore.
    13/06/21 09:14:29 FATAL hwi.HWIServer: HWI WAR file not found at /usr/lib/hive/usr/lib/hive/lib/hive-hwi-0.11.0.1.3.0.0-107.war

The hive-hwi war file is present at /usr/lib/hive/lib/hive-hwi-0.11.0.1.3.0.0-107.war, but for some reason it is adding the extra ‘/usr/lib/hive’ prefix to the path. How do I correct this?

Second question – the Apache Hive instructions (https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/Hive/HiveWebInterface) say that Hive web interface requires Ant to be installed. Is this also true of the Hortonworks distribution? When I set it up it didn’t make any difference and got the same error as above.

Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

• Author
    Replies

tedr

Hi Michael,

I’ve got a little further with this through a bit more testing and configuring. I noticed that the properties that HWI uses are actually not being set or at least are not set correctly. So I set them in the Ambari UI. I also noticed on the HWI home page that it requires Ant, so I installed ant. To set the properties in the Ambari UI, on the services page:
    1 – Stop Hive
    2 – go to the Hive configuration tab
    3 – under the advanced area add these three properties:
       *hive.hwi.listen.host = 0.0.0.0
       *hive.hwi.listen.port = 9999
       *hive.hwi.war.file = /lib/hive-hwi-0.11.1.3.0.0-107.jar
    4 – restart the Hive service
    Then in the terminal set the linux environment variable ANT_LIB = = the path to the lib directory inside your ant installation.
    Then launch HWI with ‘nohup hive –service hwi &’

that got me to a point where I could see the directory listing, but not pass any hive commands. I will continue to play around to see if I can get the full HWI up.

Thanks,
    Ted.

Collapse

alex Gordon

I don’t know if this is related, but I did a manual install (not ssh) of ambari, and everything was installed without a problem except I am getting:

warning: Unrecognised escape sequence ‘\;’ in file /var/lib/ambari-agent/puppet/modules/hdp-hive/manifests/hive/service_check.pp at line 32
    warning: Dynamic lookup of $configuration is deprecated. Support will be removed in Puppet 2.8. Use a fully-qualified variable name (e.g., $classname::variable) or parameterized classes.
    notice: /Stage[1]/Hdp::Snappy::Package/Hdp::Snappy::Package::Ln[32]/Hdp::Exec[hdp::snappy::package::ln 32]/Exec[hdp::snappy::package::ln 32]/returns: executed successfully
    notice: /Stage[2]/Hdp-hive::Hive::Service_check/File[/tmp/hiveserver2Smoke.sh]/ensure: defined content as ‘{md5}7f1d24221266a2330ec55ba620c015a9′
    notice: /Stage[2]/Hdp-hive::Hive::Service_check/File[/tmp/hiveserver2.sql]/ensure: defined content as ‘{md5}0c429dc9ae0867b5af74ef85b5530d84′
    notice: /Stage[2]/Hdp-hcat::Hcat::Service_check/File[/tmp/hcatSmoke.sh]/ensure: defined content as ‘{md5}bae7742f7083db968cb6b2bd208874cb’
    notice: /Stage[2]/Hdp-hcat::Hcat::Service_check/Exec[hcatSmoke.sh prepare]/returns: 13/06/25 03:11:56 WARN conf.HiveConf: DEPRECATED: Configuration property hive.metastore.local no longer has any effect. Make sure to provide a valid value for hive.metastore.uris if you are connecting to a remote metastore.
    notice: /Stage[2]/Hdp-hcat::Hcat::Service_check/Exec[hcatSmoke.sh prepare]/returns: FAILED: SemanticException org.apache.hadoop.hive.ql.parse.SemanticException: org.apache.hadoop.hive.ql.metadata.HiveException: java.lang.RuntimeException: Unable to instantiate org.apache.hadoop.hive.metastore.HiveMetaStoreClient
    notice: /Stage[2]/Hdp-hcat::Hcat::Service_check/Exec[hcatSmoke.sh prepare]/returns: 13/06/25 03:12:06 WARN conf.HiveConf: DEPRECATED: Configuration property hive.metastore.local no longer has any effect. Make sure to provide a valid value for hive.metastore.uris if you are connecting to a remote metastore.
    notice: /Stage[2]/Hdp-hcat::Hcat::Service_check/Exec[hcatSmoke.sh prepare]/returns: FAILED: SemanticException [Error 10001]: Table not found hcatsmokeida8c07401_date102513
    notice: /Stage[2]/Hdp-hcat::Hcat::Service_check/Exec[hcatSmoke.sh prepare]/returns: 13/06/25 03:12:15 WARN conf.HiveConf: DEPRECATED: Configuration property hive.metastore.local no longer has any effect. Make sure to provide a valid value for hive.metastore.uris if you are connecting to a remote metastore.

Collapse

tedr

Hi Michael,

I get the same error when I try to run the hive web interface. This is a bug with the Ambari installation which I’ll log.

Thanks,
    Ted.

Collapse
Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)