Hive / HCatalog Forum

Hive_11 java.lang.NoSuchMethodError: o.a.h.h.serde2.ColumnProjectionUtils.set…

Subroto Sanyal

I can see two different flavors of class:org.apache.hadoop.hive.serde2.ColumnProjectionUtils. One is available in hive-serde- and the other in hive-exec- I have both the jars in my client clasppath and end up with the problem of: java.lang.NoSuchMethodError: org.apache.hadoop.hive.serde2.ColumnProjectionUtils.setReadColumnIDs(Lorg/apache/hadoop/conf/Configuration;Ljava/util/ArrayList;)V

Though I couldn’t find this problem in Apache Hive-11 release(Though both the jars have duplicate copy of class).

It will helpful to know whether this change is intentional or a bug in hdp release?
    I can find a bug in open-source related to this:

but, this bug isn’t responsible for this problem…

to create new topics or reply. | New User Registration

• Author

Hi Subroto,

If you look at the code for these two copies are they actually two different classes? If so, is there a way you could try swapping the order of the jars on the classpath? Since java will use the version that it finds first.

Subroto Sanyal

Hi Ted,

The content of the classes are not same but, they have same name and are in same package. Swapping the order might be a workaround.
    Can you confirm whether this is bug from Distribution or not ?? If it is when can we expect it to be resolved?

Subroto Sanyal

Carter Shanklin

Between Hive 9 and Hive 10 the signature of this method changed to use a List instead of an ArrayList. Based on the traceback you have something is trying to use an ArrayList rather than a List. Do you maybe have some old UDFs or custom JARs that might be trying to use an old interface? I don’t think there was any intentional change by HWX that would cause this.

carter$ find ./ -name | xargs grep setReadColumnIDs

.//branch-0.9/serde/src/java/org/apache/hadoop/hive/serde2/ public static void setReadColumnIDs(Configuration conf, ArrayList ids) {
    .//branch-0.10/serde/src/java/org/apache/hadoop/hive/serde2/ public static void setReadColumnIDs(Configuration conf, List ids) {
    .//branch-0.11/serde/src/java/org/apache/hadoop/hive/serde2/ public static void setReadColumnIDs(Configuration conf, List ids) {

Subroto Sanyal

Thanks Carter….

Zeke Huang

Hey guys,

I’m having similar issue which seems happening during mapreduce. Pasted call stack below.
    How can I change the order of jars in hadoop classpath?

2013-09-24 20:45:03,205 FATAL org.apache.hadoop.mapred.Child: Error running child : java.lang.NoSuchMethodError: org.apache.hadoop.hive.serde2.ColumnProjectionUtils.appendReadColumnIDs(Lorg/apache/hadoop/conf/Configuration;Ljava/util/List;)V
    at org.apache.hadoop.mapred.MapTask$TrackedRecordReader.(
    at org.apache.hadoop.mapred.MapTask.runOldMapper(
    at org.apache.hadoop.mapred.Child$
    at Method)
    at org.apache.hadoop.mapred.Child.main(

Hi Zeke,

The org.apache.hadoop.hive.serde2.ColumnProjectionUtils.appendReadColumnIDs(Lorg/apache/hadoop/conf/Configuration;Ljava/util/List;) is in hive 0.10 and later’s hive-serde jar. Do you have it in your class path? or you have an earlier version of hive-serde?

You must be to reply to this topic. | Create Account

Support from the Experts

A HDP Support Subscription connects you experts with deep experience running Apache Hadoop in production, at-scale on the most demanding workloads.

Enterprise Support »

Become HDP Certified

Real world training designed by the core architects of Hadoop. Scenario-based training courses are available in-classroom or online from anywhere in the world

Training »

Hortonworks Data Platform
The Hortonworks Data Platform is a 100% open source distribution of Apache Hadoop that is truly enterprise grade having been built, tested and hardened with enterprise rigor.
Get started with Sandbox
Hortonworks Sandbox is a self-contained virtual machine with Apache Hadoop pre-configured alongside a set of hands-on, step-by-step Hadoop tutorials.
Modern Data Architecture
Tackle the challenges of big data. Hadoop integrates with existing EDW, RDBMS and MPP systems to deliver lower cost, higher capacity infrastructure.