Home Forums Hortonworks Sandbox hortonworks HIve Odbc

This topic contains 7 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Grover89 10 months, 3 weeks ago.

• Creator
    Topic

Grover89

Hi,

Im trying to connect to Hortonworks sanbox using Tableau, i have successfully installed and configured the ODBC driver using the Hive driver setup and managed to successfully connect from there. However i am still not managing to connect from Tableau with my ip and port 10000. The error being thrown is “CHeck that server is running and that you have privileges to access the data base”. I have managed to connect from qlikview, however it asks for the userid and password which is not asked for in Tableau. Does anyone have any ideas as id rather use Tableau ?

Thanks in advance

Gareth

Viewing 7 replies - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

• Author
    Replies

Grover89

Worked like a charm, thanks for your help.

Collapse

Carter Shanklin
    Participant

Gareth, Tableau requires the 32 bit ODBC driver since it is a 32 bit app.

Collapse

Grover89

Hi,

Yes i had already followed the instructions, and managed to connect with Qlikview rather than Tableau (so everything should be fine from the driver side) i’m trying to get my hands on Excel 2013 to try it out i will let you know how it goes.

Regards

Gareth

Collapse

Cheryle Custer

Hi Gareth,

Have you tried connecting the Sandbox to Excel first? That would validate the correct installation and configuration of the ODBC driver. There are new tutorials in the Sandbox to walk you through that as well.

Also, were you able to use the instructions I just posted?

Login: root
    Password: hadoop

Collapse

Grover89

Hi All,

Thanks for your replies, i had installed the 64 bit driver (since my machine is 64 bit) and had managed to connect with user name “root” (from the driver configuration tool) however i still cant connect from Tableau. Any ideas?

Regards

Gareth

Collapse

Cheryle Custer

Once Tableau is installed you will need to go to the Hortonworks web site and download the Windows 32bit ODBC driver at http://hortonworks.com/thankyou-hdp12/#addon-table.

You can follow the tutorial in the Sandbox to install the drivers or you can find them here: http://hortonworks.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/05/Installing_Configuring_Hortonworks_ODBC_Driver_with_Sandbox_-Windows7.pdf

Once the driver is installed you need to configure the driver. You will need to run the DriverConfiguration32.exe utility. You can find it from the Start menu or you can search for it from the Start page.

Set the Hive Server type to 2. The Authentication Mechanism is User Name and the User Name is sandbox.

Now you can start Tableau. In the upper left there is a Data menu. Select Connect to Data.

You will get a menu that shows the different data sources. On the left select Hortonworks Hadoop Hive for the server. You will then get a Hortonworks Hadoop Hive Connection page.

Fill in the IP address of the Sandbox VM. Click Connect to establish the connection.

Set the Schema to default. Go to tables and click on the spyglass icon. You will get a list of tables in Hive.

I selected the tweetsbi table. Click OK at the bottom and the data will be imported.

You have the option of using a Live connection where the data is imported as you need it or to import some or all the data at once.

Once the data is imported you are ready to go!

Collapse

Robert
    Participant

Hi Gareth,
    I am not familiar with tableau, but to troubleshoot, can you try connecting with Tableau to any other database that is setup in the ODBC manager? Also, do you have another ODBC client other than tableau that you can test? This will help isolate if the issue is specifically with Tableau or the hiveserver.

Regards,
    Robert

Collapse
Viewing 7 replies - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)