The Hortonworks Community Connection is now live. A completely rebuilt Q&A forum, Knowledge Base, Code Hub and more, backed by the experts in the industry.

You will be redirected here in 10 seconds. If your are not redirected, click here to visit the new site.

The legacy Hortonworks Forum is now closed. You can view a read-only version of the former site by clicking here. The site will be taken offline on January 31,2016

HDFS Forum

How to configure a Hadoop Development Environment ?

suaroman
    Participant

I have a 3 node cluster setup. All smoke screens run fine for all services. All sample’s seem to work fine too (WordCount,etc…)

I have a machine that I would like to use as a development machine (e.g. a gateway into my cluster).

Can someone tell me how to setup Eclipse so I can compile/build java mr programs to run in my cluster?

Thanks

• Author
    Replies
    Seth Lyubich

Hi Suaroman,

I think you can try to install Eclipse on spare machine and add your machine as a client node to the cluster. Once you compile code on that machine you should be able to submit jobs to the cluster.

Hope this helps.

Thanks,
    Seth

suaroman
    Participant

Thanks for the reply. I already have Eclipse and spare machine setup.
    The machine connects to the HDP cluster. Currently able to build/ run hive and pig without any problems.

I’m interested now in learning to develop Java MR programs but uncertain how to configure Eclipse properly to work with my HDP cluster. I never knew finding information like this would be so difficult. Figure basic information like ‘how to build dev encironment” would be plentiful .

Thanks. Anxiously awaiting further replies

tedr

Hi Sauroman,

There is an eclipse plugin jar located in ‘/usr/lib/hadoop/contrib/eclipse-plugin’ that you supposedly can just copy to the plugins directory of your eclipse installation. I am looking for some documentation on how to use it.

Thanks,
    Ted.

The topic ‘How to configure a Hadoop Development Environment ?’ is closed to new replies.

Support from the Experts

A HDP Support Subscription connects you experts with deep experience running Apache Hadoop in production, at-scale on the most demanding workloads.

Enterprise Support »

Become HDP Certified

Real world training designed by the core architects of Hadoop. Scenario-based training courses are available in-classroom or online from anywhere in the world

Training »

Hortonworks Data Platform
The Hortonworks Data Platform is a 100% open source distribution of Apache Hadoop that is truly enterprise grade having been built, tested and hardened with enterprise rigor.
Get started with Sandbox
Hortonworks Sandbox is a self-contained virtual machine with Apache Hadoop pre-configured alongside a set of hands-on, step-by-step Hadoop tutorials.
Modern Data Architecture
Tackle the challenges of big data. Hadoop integrates with existing EDW, RDBMS and MPP systems to deliver lower cost, higher capacity infrastructure.