Home Forums HDP on Linux – Installation How to configure multi node cluster

This topic contains 6 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  Son Hai Ha 1 week, 1 day ago.

• Creator
    Topic

Durga Prasad
    Participant

Hi,

Can anyone please provide how to set up multi node cluster?

Thanks
    Durga

Viewing 6 replies - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

• Author
    Replies

Son Hai Ha
    Participant

Hi Kumar,
    Did you also install Nagios and Ganglia service on the cluster? Those services report the usage metrics. Just make sure Ganglia monitor at each node is running and Ganglia Server is running to receive the report.
    Please make sure these ports are not blocked: TCP 8625, 8552, 8649, 8651, 8652, 8655, 8656, 8658, 8659, 8660, 8661, 8662, 8663, 8666 and UDP 6343, 8649, 8656, 8658, 8659, 8660, 8661, 8662, 8663, 8666 for Ganglia (most of the ports are not mentioned in the manual)
    Sincerely yours,

Collapse

Prem Kumar
    Participant

Hai,

I setup the two node clusters and all the services up and running I can see all the service has green color.But my question is If i click the metrics button i can see the following
    Disk usage : n/a
    Datanodes Live : 1/1
    Namenode & SecondaryNamenode : 1 Databode
    Memory Usage : There was no data available.Possible reason including inaccessible Ganglia Service
    Network Usage : There was no data available.Possible reason including inaccessible Ganglia Service
    CPU Usage : There was no data available.Possible reason including inaccessible Ganglia Service
    Cluster Load : There was no data available.Possible reason including inaccessible Ganglia Service
    Namenode Heap : n/a
    Namenode RPC : n/a
    Namenode CPU WIO : n/a
    Namenode Uptime : n/a
    Namenode Master Heap : n/a
    Hbase Links: No active Master, 1 regionserver, n/a
    HBase Avg Load : n/a
    HBase Master Uptime : n/a
    Resource Manager Heap : n/a
    Resource Manager uptime : n/a
    NoadManagers Live : 1/1
    Yarn Memory : n/a
    Supervisors Live : 1/1

How to get all the values for the metrics ?

Collapse

Son Hai Ha
    Participant

Hi,
    I hope this can help. I summary the manual guide here: http://docs.hortonworks.com/HDPDocuments/Ambari-1.5.1.0/bk_using_Ambari_book/content/ambari-chap1.html

The bellow process is described under the case of installing Ambari 1.5.1 on a cluster of VMs in Open Stack, and there are some ports and resource websites blocked by the company firewall. The VMs running Ambari are using the standard “CentOS 6.4 minimal” image. We intended to install Hadoop 1.3.3 on the cluster.

+ Edit the file /etc/hosts in all hosts to use fully qualified domain name, append the record to end of files like this:
    ###.###.###.### fully.qualified.domain.name hostname
    10.10.0.1 node1.hadoop.test node1
    10.10.0.2 node2.hadoop.test node2

so that nodes can ping each other by hostname.

+ Edit hostname for each node:
    hostname fully.qualified.domain.name
    vi /etc/sysconfig/network

NETWORKING=yes
    HOSTNAME=fully.qualified.domain.name

+ Disable iptables for ambari on all hosts
    chkconfig iptables off
    /etc/init.d/iptables stop

+ Disable SELinux all on all hosts
    setenforce 0

+ Set umask value on all host
    umask 022

+ Running NTP server on all hosts
    yum install ntp ntpdate ntp-doc (install)
    chkconfig ntpd on (turn on service)
    ntpdate pool.ntp.org (update time)
    /etc/init.d/ntpd start (start server)

+ Disable ipv6 (optional, in case ambari-server listen on IPv6 port)
    sysctl -w net.ipv6.conf.all.disable_ipv6=1
    sysctl -w net.ipv6.conf.default.disable_ipv6=1

+Setting up your local repository (optional, if ambari server could not connect to Hortonwork Repositories)
    ++Install Apache Webserver:
    yum install httpd
    /etc/init.d/httpd start

++Download HDP packages at: http://public-repo-1.hortonworks.com/HDP-UTILS-1.1.0.16/repos/centos6/HDP-UTILS-1.1.0.16-centos6.tar.gz
    yum install yum-utils createrepo
    mkdir -p /var/www/html/
    cd /var/www/html/

untar the file here

Note:
    – Open port 8440 and 8441 in security group, otherwise ambari agent couldn’t register to ambari server.
    – Open port 2181, 2888, 3888 for ZooKeeper
    – Open port 60000, 60010, 60020, and 60030 for HBase
    – Open port 50111 for WebHCat
    – Open port 50070, 50470, 8020, 9000, 50075, 50475, 50010, 50020, and 50090 for HDFS
    – Open port 51111, 19888, 50060, 50030, 9021 for MapReduce (13562 and 50300 not specified in the manual guide but should be opened)
    – Open port 10000 and 9083 for Hive

Run Ambari Server Setup
    ambari-server setup

Start Ambari Server
    ambari-server start

Access to Ambari web: http://ambari.server.host:8080/
    Follow the wizards to create your cluster.
    They will ask for the list of nodes that you want to setup, use their FQDN to enter.

Collapse

Vidy G
    Participant

I am trying to set up a two node cluster using HDP 2.0 sandbox. I believe we need to use two different VM or physical machine to set up a 2 node cluster. Is it correct?

I set up a sandbox VM and cloned it to create a second VM. I enabled Ambari in sandbox 1 to configure the sandbox2 as the second node in the cluster. But Ambari failed to register the second sandbox. The log file said issues with host name. I tried to modify host-name of second VM with no luck. Has anyone tried this before? If so what will be a simple way of setting up a 2 node cluster of HDP ?

Collapse
    Collapse

Robert Molina

Hi Durga,
    Have you looked into using HDP’s Ambari product to setup a multi node cluster. Here is documentation that have steps of how to do so.

http://docs.hortonworks.com/HDPDocuments/HDP1/HDP-1.3.2/bk_using_Ambari_book/content/ambari-chap1.html

Regards,
    Robert

Collapse
Viewing 6 replies - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)