HDP on Linux – Installation Forum

How to Upgrade HDP to the latest version of HDP (

Chia-Hao Chang

I have already deployed a 13 nodes HDP Cluster via Ambari
    Are there any guides that provide SOP for HDP users to upgrade their HDP cluster from to instead of upgrading from HDP 1.X to HDP 2.X ?

Best Regards,
    James Chang

to create new topics or reply. | New User Registration

• Author
    Chia-Hao Chang

Hi Kenny,
    Thanks for your kindly give me the hint. After reading the upgrade guide, I list my upgrade steps as following, could you or any expert in this forum can review my
    steps? Owing to this is my production cluster, I must do everything carefully

Step 1.
    Stop the HDP cluster by using Ambari
    or manually stop cluster as the following Hortonworks official guide will be better?

Step 2.
    Upgrade OS (CentOS 6.5 )

Step 3.
    Upgrade HDP to by following Hortonworks’ official guide :

Step 4.
    Start the HDP cluster by using Ambari
    or manually start cluster as the following Hortonworks official guide will be better?

In above steps, it seems does not upgrade the ambari server and agent ? Am I right? If so, what’s the SOP for upgrading the Ambari server and agent?
    Should I upgrade ambari before upgrading HDP? (i.e. Before step 3?)

Should I modify/update the repo files in each node’s /etc/yum.repos.d/ first? Where is the latest repo file for HDP

One more thing, If I want to upgrade the JDK to JDK7 instead of continue to use the currently using version of JDK(jdk1.6.0_31) which come with HDP
    how should I do?

Best Regards,
    James Chang

Kenny Zhang

Hi James,

You don’t have to upgrade ambari, if you want you can follow this docuement and see if this applies to your situation: http://docs.hortonworks.com/HDPDocuments/HDP2/HDP-

If you are using ambari, to upgrade the OS, please follow this: http://docs.hortonworks.com/HDPDocuments/HDP2/HDP-

This seems like a big project, I would suggest you do this to your dev / POC cluster first, before moving to production. If any further assistance is needed, I would suggest you refer to Hontorworks consulting for professional assistance.

You must be to reply to this topic. | Create Account

Support from the Experts

A HDP Support Subscription connects you experts with deep experience running Apache Hadoop in production, at-scale on the most demanding workloads.

Enterprise Support »

Become HDP Certified

Real world training designed by the core architects of Hadoop. Scenario-based training courses are available in-classroom or online from anywhere in the world

Training »

Hortonworks Data Platform
The Hortonworks Data Platform is a 100% open source distribution of Apache Hadoop that is truly enterprise grade having been built, tested and hardened with enterprise rigor.
Get started with Sandbox
Hortonworks Sandbox is a self-contained virtual machine with Apache Hadoop pre-configured alongside a set of hands-on, step-by-step Hadoop tutorials.
Modern Data Architecture
Tackle the challenges of big data. Hadoop integrates with existing EDW, RDBMS and MPP systems to deliver lower cost, higher capacity infrastructure.