Thanks Dave. I got it working now!
At first, i tried changing server_interface to hiveserver2, but when I did that I could no longer use the beeswax interface. After looking around on the internet, I noticed that someone else was having a similar issue but their issue was that hue could not access the hive-site.xml file. I know that i did have a hive-site.xml file in /etc/hive/conf/hive-site.xml, but what I never realized is that since my hive server runs on a different host, /etc/hive/conf/hive-site.xml on this server was set to default values. I simply copied over the /etc/hive/conf/hive-site.xml from the hive server and it started working now.