The Hortonworks Community Connection is now live. A completely rebuilt Q&A forum, Knowledge Base, Code Hub and more, backed by the experts in the industry.

You will be redirected here in 10 seconds. If your are not redirected, click here to visit the new site.

The legacy Hortonworks Forum is now closed. You can view a read-only version of the former site by clicking here. The site will be taken offline on January 31,2016

Hue Forum

Hue(Beeswax) failed to start to when it is remote to the hive installation

Tim Fei
    Participant

Hi,
    I am playing with a 2 node HDP 2.1 configuration installed by Ambari 1.5.1 . And Hue is not installed by Ambari, so I followed the manual install guide :http://docs.hortonworks.com/HDPDocuments/HDP2/HDP-2.1-latest/bk_installing_manually_book/content/rpm-chap-hue.html
    Ambari installed hive (include HiveServer2, Hive MetaStore and 1 Hive client) on node 2.

However, I installed Hue on node1, so when I tried to start Hue on node1, it failed. with following error message in /var/log/hue/beeswax_server.out
    14/05/22 19:04:49 ERROR beeswax.Server: Error while trying to check/create /tmp and warehouse directory /user/hive/warehouse
    org.apache.hadoop.security.AccessControlException: Permission denied: user=hue, access=WRITE, inode=”/user/hive”:hive:hdfs:drwxrwxr-x
    at org.apache.hadoop.hdfs.server.namenode.FSPermissionChecker.checkFsPermission(FSPermissionChecker.java:265)

… 14 more
    14/05/22 19:04:49 INFO beeswax.Server: Starting metastore at port 8003
    14/05/22 19:04:49 INFO beeswax.Server: Starting beeswaxd at port 8002
    14/05/22 19:04:49 INFO beeswax.Server: Parsed core-default.xml sucessfully. Learned 146 descriptions.
    14/05/22 19:04:49 INFO beeswax.Server: Parsed hdfs-default.xml sucessfully. Learned 171 descriptions.
    14/05/22 19:04:49 INFO beeswax.Server: Parsed mapred-default.xml sucessfully. Learned 191 descriptions.
    14/05/22 19:04:49 WARN beeswax.Server: Could not parse or find: hive-default.xml. Learned 0 description, this is not a problem.
    14/05/22 19:04:49 INFO beeswax.Server: Starting beeswax server on port 8002, talking back to Desktop at 172.29.164.34:8000
    14/05/22 19:04:49 FATAL beeswax.Server: hive.metastore.local is set to false. The Beeswax internal metastore is not supposed to run.
    [root@sgh1vhdp03 hue]# ^C
    [root@sgh1vhdp03 hue]# 14/05/22 19:04:49 FATAL beeswax.Server: hive.metastore.local is set to false. The Beeswax internal metastore is not supposed to run.

In my hue.ini, I configured following
    [beeswax]

# Host where Beeswax server Thrift daemon is running.
    # If Kerberos security is enabled, the fully-qualified domain name (FQDN) is
    # required, even if the Thrift daemon is running on the same host as Hue.
    beeswax_server_host=172.29.164.34 #the node 1 ip
    # Port where Beeswax Thrift server runs on.
    beeswax_server_port=8002
    # Host where internal metastore Thrift daemon is running.
    beeswax_meta_server_host=localhost
    # The backend to contact for queries/metadata requests
    # Choices are ‘beeswax’ (default), ‘hiveserver2’.
    server_interface=beeswax

So how can I configure the beeswax/Hue on a node which is remote to the Hive installation ?

• Author
    Replies
    Dave

Hi Tim,

You should have a hive client installed on the Hue machine, with a configured hive-site.xml.

Then you can comment out all the [[beeswax]] section and Hue should run correctly.

Thanks

Dave

Core Silver
    Participant

Hi All,

I found solution to solve<span style=”font-family: ‘Helvetica Neue’, Helvetica, Arial, ‘Open Sans’, ‘Lucida Grande’, sans-serif; font-size: 14.4px; line-height: 21.6px;”> ERROR beeswax.Server: </span>

<span style=”font-family: ‘Helvetica Neue’, Helvetica, Arial, ‘Open Sans’, ‘Lucida Grande’, sans-serif; font-size: 14.4px; line-height: 21.6px;”>Error while trying to check/create /tmp and warehouse directory /user/hive/warehouse</span>

<span style=”font-family: ‘Helvetica Neue’, Helvetica, Arial, ‘Open Sans’, ‘Lucida Grande’, sans-serif; font-size: 14.4px; line-height: 21.6px;”>org.apache.hadoop.security.AccessControlException: Permission denied: user=hue, access=WRITE, inode=”/user/hive”:hive:hdfs:drwxrwxr-x</span>

Cause:
    Hue try to access or create /tmp and /user/hive/warehouse with default user ‘hue’

but no permission to do that action.

Solution:

You can specific the right new user be ‘hive’ and group ‘hdfs’ when you start service.

/usr/lib/hue/build/env/bin/supervisor -u hive -g hdfs
    Hope it helps,

Core

The forum ‘Hue’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Support from the Experts

A HDP Support Subscription connects you experts with deep experience running Apache Hadoop in production, at-scale on the most demanding workloads.

Enterprise Support »

Become HDP Certified

Real world training designed by the core architects of Hadoop. Scenario-based training courses are available in-classroom or online from anywhere in the world

Training »

Hortonworks Data Platform
The Hortonworks Data Platform is a 100% open source distribution of Apache Hadoop that is truly enterprise grade having been built, tested and hardened with enterprise rigor.
Get started with Sandbox
Hortonworks Sandbox is a self-contained virtual machine with Apache Hadoop pre-configured alongside a set of hands-on, step-by-step Hadoop tutorials.
Modern Data Architecture
Tackle the challenges of big data. Hadoop integrates with existing EDW, RDBMS and MPP systems to deliver lower cost, higher capacity infrastructure.